well this is new "Get Latest Version" is hanging other processes

Discuss SolidWorks PDM
bnemec
Answers: 10

well this is new "Get Latest Version" is hanging other processes

Unread post by bnemec »

Interesting crossing of wires. :lol: This is certainly not the first time I've had the "Get Latest Version" message box hang. But it's usually tied to some pdm process like vault view or search tool. This time it appears to be linked to Outlook in some way. I was not browsing from the outlook process. The Get Latest Version started when I was in a vault view (explorer.exe) window and switched to the preview tab.
image.png
Also hung Greenshot that I use for screen shot.
image.png
I think it's time to shut the PC down and go home. ><
mp3-250
Answers: 18

Re: well this is new "Get Latest Version" is hanging other processes

Unread post by mp3-250 »

No sure for your cases, but sometimes there is a prompt dialog hidden behind some window or the get latest version dialog itself.
It happened a couple of time I thought it was hanging instead it was waiting for a user input.
IIRC that small dialog is about overwriting a checked out file with l.v. and it did not shown a preview with alt tab as well.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

In my experience, PDM is tied to (and takes over) file operations. If anything is using the tool that handles file operations, all tools that use file operations will not respond until whatever is using it is done with it. Sometimes that is PDM keeping other things from operating. Sometimes it is something else keeping PDM from operating.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

SPerman wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:22 am In my experience, PDM is tied to (and takes over) file operations. If anything is using the tool that handles file operations, all tools that use file operations will not respond until whatever is using it is done with it. Sometimes that is PDM keeping other things from operating. Sometimes it is something else keeping PDM from operating.
Yep, this was it. I >think< I figured out what had happened and why it's not common.

As to the buried prompt asking about something hanging the get latest action; we've had that too, but I couldn't find one this time.

A while back Tor pointed out that there are several benefits by having file explorer set to open new windows in their own process. So, most of the time vault view is not open on the first explorer.exe, the one that draws the task tray and apparently every other process uses for anything file related. The fairly common Get Latest hang is usually cleared by closing the file explorer window (as long as that file explorer is not the first instance of explorer.exe) because that ends that explorer.exe process. What I thought was strange is that it was not cleared when I did "restart" of explorer.exe from the Task Manager -> Processes tab (incidentally, its the only process that has "restart" in the right click menu). I had to go into details tab and kill the explorer.exe process then start it again. Then for good measure I exited PDM from the system tray icon and confirmed that the EdmServer.exe process closed out.

Something still wrong with PDM on my machine though. When I went to forward an email in outlook, outlook must be trying to access some path in the vault as PDM login prompt comes up. I have automatic login turned off on my machine so the dialog is expected. Why outlook is touching something in pdm I don't know. Also, after logging in PDM is trying to get latest version (I assume due to the setting to get latest on our libraries and templates on login.) But, of course, it's hung. Stilll need to restart.
AlexB
Answers: 22

Unread post by AlexB »

bnemec wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:48 am
Something still wrong with PDM on my machine though. When I went to forward an email in outlook, outlook must be trying to access some path in the vault as PDM login prompt comes up. I have automatic login turned off on my machine so the dialog is expected. Why outlook is touching something in pdm I don't know. Also, after logging in PDM is trying to get latest version (I assume due to the setting to get latest on our libraries and templates on login.) But, of course, it's hung. Stilll need to restart.
Outlook brings up logins for PDM on occasion because it has a process that looks in recent file locations and your Quick Access items in the File Explorer. It tries to cache lists of stuff it thinks you want to attach to emails. Annoying, but I'm not sure how to avoid it.
image.png
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

AlexB wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:52 am Outlook brings up logins for PDM on occasion because it has a process that looks in recent file locations and your Quick Access items in the File Explorer. It tries to cache lists of stuff it thinks you want to attach to emails. Annoying, but I'm not sure how to avoid it.
Turn off or remove PDM addin in Outlook.
AlexB

Unread post by AlexB »

Frederick_Law wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:55 am Turn off or remove PDM addin in Outlook.
I don't have it PDM installed for Outlook. Outlook actually gets it's list for attachments from C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent

These are shortcuts to the actual file location. Since it wants to populate a list of stuff for you to pick from, it caches file information. When it can't access the file, it triggers PDM to ask you to log in. It's annoying and not possible to turn off from what I have found (yet)

Edit: haven't had enough coffee to function correctly yet
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

AlexB wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:02 am I don't have it PDM installed for Outlook. Outlook actually gets it's list for attachments from C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent

These are shortcuts to the actual file location. Since it wants to populate a list of stuff for you to pick from, it caches file information. When it can't access the file, it triggers PDM to ask you to log in. It's annoying and not possible to turn off from what I have found (yet)
Supposedly fixed in 2018....seems later Win10 builds reintroduced it.

SPR 1096410

SOLIDWORKS PDM - User Interface: F.O. SPR 941109 (Opening Windows Explorer prompts for PDM vault log…) please reevaluate relative to the later Windows 10 updates particularly build 10.0.17134

Fix in: 2023 PR1
Jason
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

AlexB wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:02 am I don't have it PDM installed for Outlook. Outlook actually gets it's list for attachments from C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent

Edit: haven't had enough coffee to function correctly yet
I've managed to keep vault paths out of the Quick access list, but obviously there will be vault paths in the recent file list(s). That must be it. Most of the time nobody notices, but if anything is not just right then PDM makes a right nuisance of itself with dialogs. Especially bad in conference/training room PCs and other non-cad/non-technical users PCs. They tend to wind up in offline mode! :lol:
JSculley
Answers: 54

Unread post by JSculley »

bnemec wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:51 am I've managed to keep vault paths out of the Quick access list, but obviously there will be vault paths in the recent file list(s). That must be it. Most of the time nobody notices, but if anything is not just right then PDM makes a right nuisance of itself with dialogs. Especially bad in conference/training room PCs and other non-cad/non-technical users PCs. They tend to wind up in offline mode! :lol:
You can disable the recent items list for attachments in Outlook, via a registry setting:

https://www.msoutlook.info/question/dis ... ttach-file
AlexB

Unread post by AlexB »

JSculley wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:03 pm You can disable the recent items list for attachments in Outlook, via a registry setting:

Well that helps. I had to add the key and value but it disabled the list :)
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

JSculley wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:03 pm You can disable the recent items list for attachments in Outlook, via a registry setting:

While I like the option I feel it's more of a work around. This would help me more than hinder as I don't attach to emails that often. The way outlook hits recent files list is not the root problem. I kinda feel that some way of telling windows to exclude certain paths, say C:/Vault/, from recent file list would be better. It seems the recent file links aren't purged when local cache is cleared so we wind up with broken links? I think best would just be the option to exclude vault locations from quick access and recents etc. But as usual, I have thoughts but lack the understanding.