Can't Add Column Set to Complete Seartch

Discuss SolidWorks PDM
DanBovinich
Answers: 1

Can't Add Column Set to Complete Seartch

Unread post by DanBovinich »

SW 2021 Pro and 2021 PDM Pro.

Please see (3) pics...

I created a new Search Results Column set. When I started a browser, I can not see the new column set in order to switch to it. I made one for the "Quick Search Results" (QSR) and it worked perfectly.

I have (2) "Search Result Column" sets, but my file explorer only sees the first one I made a couple years ago.

I have read the instructions over and over, I have looked online @ SW, but no luck.

Before I submit this to the VAR, I thought I would pass it by you guys, :)

Thank you,

Dan B.
Attachments
quality.jpg
NColumns.jpg
Editor.jpg
by Diaval » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:34 am
DanBovinich wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:56 pm
I have (2) "Search Result Column" sets, but my file explorer only sees the first one I made a couple years ago.
Hey Dan,

This one is an easy one to miss because the assignment of Search results column sets is done a bit differently than all other column set types. For Search results (but not Quick Search results), you don't assign the column set to the users. You need to assign the column set to the search card itself.

In the Admin tool, login to your vault and expand the Cards node, then expand the Search cards. Open each search card that should be allowed to use the new column set and select the View option for the column set in the card properties pane.
Search card column sets.png
Hope this helps!

/Diaval
Go to full post
Thank you,

Dan B.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Re: Can't Add Column Set to Complete Seartch

Unread post by bnemec »

We have 2019, and 2021 looks a bit different, but have you applied the users/groups that have access to this column set?
image.png
Diaval
Answers: 7

Unread post by Diaval »

DanBovinich wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:56 pm
Hey Dan,

This one is an easy one to miss because the assignment of Search results column sets is done a bit differently than all other column set types. For Search results (but not Quick Search results), you don't assign the column set to the users. You need to assign the column set to the search card itself.

In the Admin tool, login to your vault and expand the Cards node, then expand the Search cards. Open each search card that should be allowed to use the new column set and select the View option for the column set in the card properties pane.
Search card column sets.png
Hope this helps!

/Diaval
-- To espouse elucidation we must eschew obfuscation
DanBovinich

Hi Diaval,

I followed your instructions and that worked great! Thank you so much.... I'm not sure why SW would make an inconsistent interface. Oh well, its working now.... :)

Dan
Thank you,

Dan B.
DanBovinich

bnemec wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:38 pm We have 2019, and 2021 looks a bit different, but have you applied the users/groups that have access to this column set?
image.png
Thats the way other than "Search results" works. For some reason, you can't assingn a group (its grayed out/unavailable). As Diaval pointed out, you have to make it available in the Cards editor.

Thanks for the help!

Dan B.
Thank you,

Dan B.
Diaval
Answers: 7

Unread post by Diaval »

DanBovinich wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:48 am Hi Diaval,

I followed your instructions and that worked great! Thank you so much.... I'm not sure why SW would make an inconsistent interface. Oh well, its working now.... :)

Dan
I believe that this is because the search cards were the first feature in SWPDM that could have column sets defined and they were designed to be assigned to the card instead of being assigned to the users. I guess they didn't want to change that functionality when adding the new custom column sets for other areas that are assigned to users and groups.
-- To espouse elucidation we must eschew obfuscation