PDM, "Enable the get version command in SOLIDWORKS Add-in"

Installation, PDM, standards, training, support, part numbering, rev schemes, etc.
bnemec
Answers: 10

PDM, "Enable the get version command in SOLIDWORKS Add-in"

Unread post by bnemec »

Stupid me, I had been reading this setting to mean that the user would be able to get versions "as built" some call it from the Vault View and Search tool, but it's only allowed from the Add-in. <()>

If a user has permission to get old versions, why not enable it from the Vault View or Search Tool processes?
image.png
Am I missing something?
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Re: PDM, "Enable the get version command in SOLIDWORKS Add-in"

Unread post by jcapriotti »

bnemec wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:49 pm Am I missing something?
No....it's just dumb not to enable that everywhere.
Jason
AlexB
Answers: 22

Unread post by AlexB »

In the administration guide, if you're locking down users to "Always use the latest version" then you're essentially taking away their ability to get older versions of files that they are working with. If you enable the option you outlined, this gives permission back to the user to get older versions as they see fit.
image.png
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

AlexB wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:08 pm In the administration guide, if you're locking down users to "Always use the latest version" then you're essentially taking away their ability to get older versions of files that they are working with.
Yep, got that.
AlexB wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:08 pm If you enable the option you outlined, this gives permission back to the user to get older versions as they see fit.
Right, but ONLY from the SW PDM Add-in. I cannot find the option to get referenced version(s) when getting files from the Vault View or Search Tool.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

jcapriotti wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:04 pm No....it's just dumb not to enable that everywhere.
We've discussed this before Jason. I'd prefer you call me an idiot and point out that the obvious setting/thing that I've missed over just saying, "nope, it doesn't do that" :lol:
AlexB
Answers: 22

Unread post by AlexB »

bnemec wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:13 pm Right, but ONLY from the SW PDM Add-in. I cannot find the option to get referenced version(s) when getting files from the Vault View or Search Tool.
Yeah, I don't see a permission for that in the other tools. I'm really glad the UI for Dassault products is so consistent across products
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

AlexB wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:31 pm Yeah, I don't see a permission for that in the other tools. I'm really glad the UI for Dassault products is so consistent across products
#PDMTTL: Make the icons in Vault View == the icons in Search Tool == the icons in SW Add-in.