The constant battle of Windows Updates, GPU Drivers, & CAD

Installation, PDM, standards, training, support, part numbering, rev schemes, etc.
calculatorwatch
Answers: 0

The constant battle of Windows Updates, GPU Drivers, & CAD

Unread post by calculatorwatch »

Does anyone else have constant issue with graphics drivers rolling back or updating seemingly on their own? This seems to happen to all users across varying PC configs.

It seems to be Windows Updates as the culprit but you don't actual see it in Update History or have a way to control what Windows thinks is the best driver. This seems to wreck havoc on SOLIDWORKS performance until I go in, uninstall the driver, and install the latest again.

Just wondering if anyone else has been through this.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Re: The constant battle of Windows Updates, GPU Drivers, & CAD

Unread post by bnemec »

This is me trying to keep the least unstable driver on our CAD workstations:
image.png
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

There are a couple of settings that should stop that from happening. (Use at your own risk.)

Under Group Policy:
Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Window Update/Do Not Include Drivers with Windows Updates - Enable this setting.

Open windows Settings and search for "Device Installation Setings." When the window below appears, select "No."
image.png
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
calculatorwatch
Answers: 0

Unread post by calculatorwatch »

SPerman wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:35 pm There are a couple of settings that should stop that from happening. (Use at your own risk.)
Yep, we considered this, but the idea of "all or nothing" seems extreme. And I don't think IT was very cool with the idea , nor do I want to start having to manage every driver for the sake of dealing with specifically the graphics drivers...
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

In our case, updates are launched by the server and only the server, so once I get the designated drivers on our Workstations, the graphic drivers update is disabled on the server side.