Request for new registrants

Several announcements for new users.
matt
Answers: 18

Request for new registrants

Unread post by matt »

We are having a flood of bogus registrations. A lot of them fit a pattern and are easy to identify, but a lot of bogus-ness comes from generic gmail accounts. It gives me great peace of mind to approve registrations that use actual business email domains. For example. Flipper@gmail.com might turn out to be bogus. But Flipper@boeing.com is probably not.

Plus, once you get here, it would be great if you'd make a post just to reassure me that I've approved real people who have some connection to CAD.

If you've already registered especially with a gmail account, please just write a human sounding post, and you'll make my life a little easier.

And if you're a real person, and I've denied your registration, shoot me an email and try again.

Thanks!
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Re: Request for new registrants

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Make sure you filter out anyone with a last name in all caps...
matt

Unread post by matt »

mattpeneguy wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:57 am Make sure you filter out anyone with a last name in all caps...
People or companies that use all caps will be booted without ceremony.
mattpeneguy

matt wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:06 am
mattpeneguy wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:57 am Make sure you filter out anyone with a last name in all caps...
People or companies that use all caps will be booted without ceremony.
Ouch...Didn't know you'd take it that far...
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

matt wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:06 am People or companies that use all caps will be booted without ceremony.
That pretty much excludes all Dassault representatives from signing up.
Jason
matt

Unread post by matt »

@jcapriotti @mattpeneguy It was purple, so I didn't really 100% mean it, but that attention-grabbing-self-importance does rub me the wrong way. You know, for once I finally feel like I can say stuff like that without worrying about someone looking over my shoulder.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

I don't know if spambots have gotten better at spoofing themselves, but generally there's something off about the userID or the mail.

Maybe to 'facilitate' the task of moderating these, you could have a usergroup for new users that puts their post in moderation for you to approve them or reject them. Once you see they post something that's valid, you move 'em to the registered users group.
matt

Unread post by matt »

AlexLachance wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:01 am ...
Maybe to 'facilitate' the task of moderating these, you could have a usergroup for new users that puts their post in moderation for you to approve them or reject them. Once you see they post something that's valid, you move 'em to the registered users group.
Yeah, the new registered users group is how most of these phpbb forums start people out, but I know a lot of SW users coming from "the other place" were a little sensitive to moderation, so I've tried to avoid that. Plus, when you do that you get a constant flow of "why can't I..." questions.
Jean LeBlanc
Answers: 0

Unread post by Jean LeBlanc »

Just wanted to send a quick reply and hello. Thanks for starting the forum.
I saw what was going on at the other forum so I thought I would join in here.
Cheers,
Jean LeBlanc
matt

Unread post by matt »

Jean LeBlanc wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:22 am Just wanted to send a quick reply and hello. Thanks for starting the forum.
I saw what was going on at the other forum so I thought I would join in here.
Cheers,
Jean LeBlanc
Yay! Thanks! Hope you like it here. You get the most out of it if you participate in the conversation.
mattpeneguy

AlexLachance wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:01 am I don't know if spambots have gotten better at spoofing themselves, but generally there's something off about the userID or the mail.

@matt,
@AlexLachance has a good idea. Or what seemed to work at the old forum was that when someone signed up, they had to wait a day or two to be able to post anything. They'd receive an email explaining how it works as part of the confirmation process.
Or even better, to join should be a six step process...Here's a template to get you started:
image.png
matt

Unread post by matt »

mattpeneguy wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:26 am @matt,
@AlexLachance has a good idea. Or what seemed to work at the old forum was that when someone signed up, they had to wait a day or two to be able to post anything. They'd receive an email explaining how it works as part of the confirmation process.
Or even better, to join should be a six step process...Here's a template to get you started:
image.png
So far, the goofballs who are mass-registering aren't doing anything noticeably nefarious, aside from wasting time. I'd rather err on the permissive side, at least initially here, when time is of the essence. It might be a little deflating to have people come here and be blocked for a couple of days.

Yeah, the six step process would encourage people who are hoping that we have as good technical management over here as they do at the swamp.
mattpeneguy

matt wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:35 am
mattpeneguy wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:26 am @matt,
image.png
So far, the goofballs who are mass-registering aren't doing anything noticeably nefarious, aside from wasting time. I'd rather err on the permissive side, at least initially here, when time is of the essence. It might be a little deflating to have people come here and be blocked for a couple of days.

Yeah, the six step process would encourage people who are hoping that we have as good technical management over here as they do at the swamp.
That makes a lot of sense, until there's a lot of content and people, it's best to make it as easy as possible to join.
But you could start kicking people off that don't bother to input their profile information, like this guy:
image.png
matt

Unread post by matt »

mattpeneguy wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:49 am
That makes a lot of sense, until there's a lot of content and people, it's best to make it as easy as possible to join.
But you could start kicking people off that don't bother to input their profile information, like this guy:
image.png
Yeah, that freeloading foul mouthed jackass, he never contributes anything all he does is lord it over the rest of us. I'm gonna go kick him off right now...
<ll> <<==== By the way, notice the new Troll emoji?
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

matt wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:47 am We are having a flood of bogus registrations. A lot of them fit a pattern and are easy to identify, but a lot of bogus-ness comes from generic gmail accounts. It gives me great peace of mind to approve registrations that use actual business email domains. For example. Flipper@gmail.com might turn out to be bogus. But Flipper@boeing.com is probably not.

Plus, once you get here, it would be great if you'd make a post just to reassure me that I've approved real people who have some connection to CAD.

If you've already registered especially with a gmail account, please just write a human sounding post, and you'll make my life a little easier.

And if you're a real person, and I've denied your registration, shoot me an email and try again.

Thanks!
I can vouch for these two, for whatever that's worth.

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

matt wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:55 am @jcapriotti @mattpeneguy It was purple, so I didn't really 100% mean it, but that attention-grabbing-self-importance does rub me the wrong way. You know, for once I finally feel like I can say stuff like that without worrying about someone looking over my shoulder.
You rock! I just started reading this thread and love yours and Jason's comments -
image.png
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

mattpeneguy wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:26 am
AlexLachance wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:01 am I don't know if spambots have gotten better at spoofing themselves, but generally there's something off about the userID or the mail.

@matt,
image.png
image.png
THIS

IS

GOLD!!
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
Glenn Schroeder

I'm getting way off topic, but speaking of the all caps thing reminds me of something. Initially I went along with capitalizing the S and W when writing out the name of the software, though I didn't like it. When they started using all caps I quit capitalizing the W, so just Solidworks.

And yes, I know I'm a grouchy old man. It's part of my charm.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

mattpeneguy

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:54 am I'm getting way off topic, but speaking of the all caps thing reminds me of something. Initially I went along with capitalizing the S and W when writing out the name of the software, though I didn't like it. When they started using all caps I quit capitalizing the W, so just Solidworks.

you may think that...
Did I tell y'all about me changing my name to have my first name in all caps over on the platform? They fixed it pretty quick. Didn't even msg me about it.
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

mattpeneguy wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:01 am
Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:54 am I'm getting way off topic, but speaking of the all caps thing reminds me of something. Initially I went along with capitalizing the S and W when writing out the name of the software, though I didn't like it. When they started using all caps I quit capitalizing the W, so just Solidworks.

you may think that...
Did I tell y'all about me changing my name to have my first name in all caps over on the platform? They fixed it pretty quick. Didn't even msg me about it.
Matt, you should try making your last name all caps. Give them a taste of their own and even masquerade as a SWX/DSS employee.
image.png
- - -Randy Pausch
mattpeneguy

Don't worry, I've thought about it...Give people very confusing advice on how to use the platform. Maybe as lengthy as I can...Oh, wait, they're already doing that...
Glenn Schroeder

mattpeneguy wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:24 am Don't worry, I've thought about it...Give people very confusing advice on how to use the platform. Maybe as lengthy as I can...Oh, wait, they're already doing that...
While you're at it write a simple how-to on how to navigate that "forum". It shouldn't be much thicker than @matt's Solidworks bibles.

Jaylin Hochstetler

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

mattpeneguy wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:24 am Don't worry, I've thought about it...Give people very confusing advice on how to use the platform. Maybe as lengthy as I can...Oh, wait, they're already doing that...
This would be my instructions.

Click on this link: https://www.cadforum.net/index.php?sid= ... 4bd1becff3
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
dave.laban

Unread post by dave.laban »

I originally registered with a Gmail address but have now changed to my work one.
matt

Unread post by matt »

dave.laban wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:55 am I originally registered with a Gmail address but have now changed to my work one.
Thanks, your name is recognizable, no problem there! :D
jmongi
Answers: 0

Unread post by jmongi »

The all caps things is stupid in that it's another clever idea that is actually less clear than just tagging their user id's with some sort of official DSS logo. For a minute I thought there were a few users unclear of how the shift button functioned on their keyboards....
Designated Pot-Stirrer