Hole callout format for round cut extrudes (not hole wizard)

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
Dwight
Answers: 2

Hole callout format for round cut extrudes (not hole wizard)

Unread post by Dwight »

In a drawing (SW2022), I find that when I apply a hole callout to a hole cut with an extrude feature (not hole wizard) I get a format I don't want (adds "THRU" to the callout). I can't find where this format is controlled. I don't see anything in calloutformat.txt that seems to apply to an extrude cut. Anyone know if this format can be changed and how to do it?

I would like to change this because we have quite a few engineers here who will not know to edit the callout.

Thanks

Dwight
by JSculley » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:36 am
From the Knowledge Base:
======================================
Solution Id: S-068143
Product: SOLIDWORKS 2020 Network Installation
Created: 2/12/2015
Technically Reviewed Date: 3/10/2022
Area: Part
Sub-Area: Hole
Question: Is it possible to remove the suffix "THRU" from hole callouts of simple through holes or holes created using cut-extrude features?

Answer:
Hole callouts for simple holes (geometry based holes) are always defined by their geometry. The callout syntax format is a combination of "Diameter symbol + Diameter value + Depth information." Users cannot modify this format, as it is hard-coded into SOLIDWORKS®. The workaround is to delete the “THRU” text manually after inserting the callout.
==========================================
Go to full post
JSculley
Answers: 53

Re: Hole callout format for round cut extrudes (not hole wizard)

Unread post by JSculley »

From the Knowledge Base:
Question: Is it possible to remove the suffix "THRU" from hole callouts of simple through holes or holes created using cut-extrude features?

Answer:
Hole callouts for simple holes (geometry based holes) are always defined by their geometry. The callout syntax format is a combination of "Diameter symbol + Diameter value + Depth information." Users cannot modify this format, as it is hard-coded into SOLIDWORKS®. The workaround is to delete the “THRU” text manually after inserting the callout.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

JSculley wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:36 am The workaround is to delete the “THRU” text manually after inserting the callout. . .
. . . or just use the Smart Dimension tool instead of Hole Callout.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Dwight

Unread post by Dwight »

JSculley wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:36 am From the Knowledge Base:

Answer:
Thanks, JSculley.
Dwight

Unread post by Dwight »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:18 am . . . or just use the Smart Dimension tool instead of Hole Callout.
Sure. It's often not obvious how the hole was made, which makes it hard to pick the method. I'd prefer that hole callout would work only on hole wizard holes, or there was a way to set the format.

Dwight
CarrieIves

Unread post by CarrieIves »

Related - In SolidWorks 2022, if you have two cut extrudes to create a counterbore, you can use the hole callout to create a hole callout with the counterbore symbol and depth. (You have to pick the outer cut for it to work, I think.) It will not let you apply a tolerance to more than one of the dimensions though.

Also, if you are using dual dimensions, you don't get the dual dimensions on both.
SPR1250812

Image below shows two different counterbore holes that were created with cut extrude features. (It made sense based on how the design progressed and that these were not standard holes.)
image.png