how to stop OS from putting window on top?

For things you would put in a kitty dump.
bnemec
Answers: 10

how to stop OS from putting window on top?

Unread post by bnemec »

I don't think this is an application setting, but I don't know. It's not a Solidworks thing although SW is the most common offender because of load time and number of times the OS brings it to front.

Does anyone know of a system setting (in windows, not SW) that will disable bringing windows to top, just blink in the task bar. For example, I'll start SW or open a file then go back to typing an email or some ERP screen, etc. instead of sitting and waiting/watching it load. Problem is SW will come to focus several times during the load process and over dozens of times a day it becomes really frustrating. I want to tell it to just get as far as it can with all its dialogs then wait until I get back to you. In other words, the user-application interface should be polled, not interrupt.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Re: how to stop OS from putting window on top?

Unread post by SPerman »

I completely agree with you, and unfortunately I don't have a solution.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

SPerman wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:55 am I completely agree with you, and unfortunately I don't have a solution.
Having the other application on a different monitor works pretty well.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:14 am Having the other application on a different monitor works pretty well.
Aye. The problem becomes living within the constraints created by workarounds required by all the tools that make me 1000% more efficient. Like a Ven diagram where only a few of the circles overlap.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

I think if you remove the program from full screen display and have it in windowed mode it will stop popping up over your other programs while it is "processing", not 100% sure though.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Even if it is on a different monitor, a new app launching takes over your keyboard and mouse.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:28 am I think if you remove the program from full screen display and have it in windowed mode it will stop popping up over your other programs while it is "processing", not 100% sure though.
I don't have any apps/programs full screen.
SPerman wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:28 am Even if it is on a different monitor, a new app launching takes over your keyboard and mouse.
This might be more frustrating than display. I should have used better terminology. Think it's called "has focus" which is a bit ironic because something else had my focus and I wish it would have stayed that way.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Focus!

I was trying to think of the proper term, and having a brain cramp. It drives me crazy to be typing away and something else takes over the focus and now I'm typing into nothing.
-
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:14 am Having the other application on a different monitor works pretty well.
Having SW on a different computer work best UU

Not sure if virtual Desktop would help.
Try nVidia RTX Desktop Manager.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:42 pm Having SW on a different computer work best UU

Not sure if virtual Desktop would help.
Try nVidia RTX Desktop Manager.
True, I like SW best when it's ran on other people's computers.
Damo
Answers: 0

Unread post by Damo »

This is a massive annoyance to me too.
There are indeed multiple scenarios involving multiple softwares where this can be quite a frustration.
I've been reading around on this issue for some time too and as far as I can tell, in WIn10, there is no actual solution. o[
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Some co-workers love the Microsoft Powertoys tool. I used it for a while; uninstalled it trying to figure out some display blackout problems we've had. Anyway, I tried reading the notes looking for something that indicated it could help with this, didn't find anything. But when I don't know what to call it or what they will call the function, it's hard to search for.

Is anyone else using this utility?
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

bnemec wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:33 am Some co-workers love the Microsoft Powertoys tool. I used it for a while; uninstalled it trying to figure out some display blackout problems we've had. Anyway, I tried reading the notes looking for something that indicated it could help with this, didn't find anything. But when I don't know what to call it or what they will call the function, it's hard to search for.

Is anyone else using this utility?
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/
I used the PowerToys tool quite often, mainly for fancy zone and power rename.
But i am not aware of any feature that can help hiding solidworks (but i could be wrong since i dint play with it much)

Throwing out random idea here, you might be able to use macro to hide the application when opening document.
(We had a similar features where SOLIDWORSK will be hidden when we import or export files to/from our PDM)

https://help.solidworks.com/2015/englis ... ple_VB.htm
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
Damo
Answers: 0

Unread post by Damo »

So, I feel it is probably solidworks itself that creates the biggest issue with this, for me.
I don't know if I'm barking up a dead tree here, but I made an enhancement request.

"I have a huge issue with windows that steal focus from my current task. For me, solidworks is probably the worst offender. So often I will be waiting for a model to load, a save operation to complete, or just simply waiting on a hang command to get its crap together. While this happens, I will often go busy myself with other tasks.. Follow up emails, write reports, printing/editing documents, research and other communications. You know, the rest of the stuff we do that isn't using solidworks. (I should add, I literally would go insane if my sole task was to use solidworks exclusively.. I digress..) What really infuriates me about this issue is that when solidworks gets around to being ready for me again, it feels the need to interupt me without warning. It will pop back up from the task bar and steal focus away from my current task. This can be problematic when I am busily typing away at something else. I often find I will have inadvertantly initiated some random keyboard shortcut I am unaware of (Selection Filter, I'm looking at you..!!) and suddenly I've given myself something else I need to wait on, and then undo. Why can't solidworks just sit and wait for me to get back to it. I have to wait for it allll the time.. Why can it not wait for me..? Why MUST it always interupt me..? I would respectfully request a button in the settings that I can tick to tell solidworks "Do Not Hijack Window Focus..!!" Make it so..! Thank you."

Maybe vote for it if you think it will help..? (or even possible)

https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... CgjW9bj-QA
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Damo wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:06 pm So, I feel it is probably solidworks itself that creates the biggest issue with this, for me.
I don't know if I'm barking up a dead tree here, but I made an enhancement request.

"I have a huge issue with windows that steal focus from my current task. For me, solidworks is probably the worst offender. So often I will be waiting for a model to load, a save operation to complete, or just simply waiting on a hang command to get its crap together. While this happens, I will often go busy myself with other tasks.. Follow up emails, write reports, printing/editing documents, research and other communications. You know, the rest of the stuff we do that isn't using solidworks. (I should add, I literally would go insane if my sole task was to use solidworks exclusively.. I digress..) What really infuriates me about this issue is that when solidworks gets around to being ready for me again, it feels the need to interupt me without warning. It will pop back up from the task bar and steal focus away from my current task. This can be problematic when I am busily typing away at something else. I often find I will have inadvertantly initiated some random keyboard shortcut I am unaware of (Selection Filter, I'm looking at you..!!) and suddenly I've given myself something else I need to wait on, and then undo. Why can't solidworks just sit and wait for me to get back to it. I have to wait for it allll the time.. Why can it not wait for me..? Why MUST it always interupt me..? I would respectfully request a button in the settings that I can tick to tell solidworks "Do Not Hijack Window Focus..!!" Make it so..! Thank you."

Maybe vote for it if you think it will help..? (or even possible)

https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... CgjW9bj-QA

I think SW is the worst offender because it is so slow compared to all of the other programs we use. Second, it will interrupt several times for one action before it's actually ready for use. I'm not even talking about the gross overuse of dialogs. Splash screen. Really? The splash screen needs to take focus? "I AM SOLIDWORKS NOTICE I AM HERE... ...and still loading..." I'll admit to having an over inflated sense of self importance, but SW is in a class of it's own.
Frederick_Law

Use multiple desktop.
nVidia has Desktop Manager.
I think Windows got it too.
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

PDM is even worse, with win11 it pull out the login dialog at the worst timing stealing focus.
to add another annoyance to the annoyance the dialog is often off screen AND invisible...
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

we could always migrate to the pLaTfOrM and avoid these annoyances...
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:34 pm Use multiple desktop.
nVidia has Desktop Manager.
I think Windows got it too.
I never got the hang of doing that. Some Linux distros have had multiple GUI Desktops for years, early 2ks I think? But I never got proficient at making use of it. I should try that again.
Frederick_Law

nVidia Desktop Manager can remember all the programs opened and their location.
A few clicks in the morning and all the program popup where they supposed to.
Even if you moved/size them before.