Back in the office after the holidays.

For things you would put in a kitty dump.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Back in the office after the holidays.

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

I got here this morning to discover that our IT department has migrated our files from the existing network drives to new ones (or something like that). When I go to "My Computer" I can see the new drives, so no problem, right? (Other than having to update my settings at Tools > Options > System Options > File Locations, which isn't that big a deal.)

However, when I go to those new drives I discover that apparently only a certain number of levels of sub-folders got moved over, which means I've lost all my library parts and weldment profiles. The weldment profiles are bad enough, but there have been a tremendous number of files added to the library parts folder over the last 14 years. It would likely take hundreds of hours to duplicate them.

My boss has made them aware of the issue, so hopefully they can un-do it. In the meantime I'm dead in the water.

So how's everyone else doing this morning?
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Frank_Oostendorp
Answers: 2

Re: Back in the office after the holidays.

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

GoodMorning,

what a way to start the year. Great guys these IT experts. 🤦‍♂️ So enjoy another coffee, and another?
Glenn Schroeder

They restored the previous drive with my library parts, templates, weldment profiles, etc, but I just found out that I don't have write access to the drive with the project files. It just keeps getting better.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:34 am I got here this morning to discover that our IT department has migrated our files from the existing network drives to new ones (or something like that). When I go to "My Computer" I can see the new drives, so no problem, right? (Other than having to update my settings at Tools > Options > System Options > File Locations, which isn't that big a deal.)

However, when I go to those new drives I discover that apparently only a certain number of levels of sub-folders got moved over, which means I've lost all my library parts and weldment profiles. The weldment profiles are bad enough, but there have been a tremendous number of files added to the library parts folder over the last 14 years. It would likely take hundreds of hours to duplicate them.

My boss has made them aware of the issue, so hopefully they can un-do it. In the meantime I'm dead in the water.

Wow, just wow. That's some major incompetence right there. Why weren't you even put into notice of the actions that were about to take place so you could advise them accordingly?

Makes me scared to come in on Wednesday lol
Glenn Schroeder

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:38 am Wow, just wow. That's some major incompetence right there. Why weren't you even put into notice of the actions that were about to take place so you could advise them accordingly?

Makes me scared to come in on Wednesday lol
My boss knew about the change, and the IT department had been made well aware of the issues with Solidworks file references.

Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

The question is why they decide not to copy some sub-folders?
Glenn Schroeder

Frederick_Law wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:02 pm The question is why they decide not to copy some sub-folders?
As I understand it, they used some program that was supposed to copy everything over and then check to make sure everything was good on the new drive. Apparently it didn't work correctly.

In any case, they restored the drive with my templates, library parts, etc, and fixed the issue with the new drive for project files, so I'm apparently back in business.

Only four hours lost.

Damo
Answers: 0

Unread post by Damo »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:34 am I got here this morning to discover that our IT department has migrated our files from the existing network drives to new ones (or something like that). When I go to "My Computer" I can see the new drives, so no problem, right? (Other than having to update my settings at Tools > Options > System Options > File Locations, which isn't that big a deal.)

grumph <()>