Adding Derived Parts to BOM Table

djvitos1
Answers: 0

Adding Derived Parts to BOM Table

Unread post by djvitos1 »

Hello, the current project I am working on I have to follow a certain workflow that is very time demanding. I am hoping to see if there is an alternative.

We currently have part specifications as a part, with variations of that specification as a configuration. Example Spec 001, Variation 1212, would be Part 001, Configuration 1212 (001-1212). They ask for every part designed to be put into a subassembly and inserting the part (001-1212) so that the BOM table in the drawing will pick it up as a part and the manufacturer understands what specifications he has to follow.

The problem with this is, when we have large assemblies with many parts that need to be converted individually to subassemblies to add the specifications. This results in many broken mates and features of the assembly which I have to manually re-mate and fix.

I was hoping by adding the spec(part) to the part itself I could edit the BOM to display the parts. However, I assume BOM tables do not pick up derived parts. I was also hoping to maybe be able to use C# to make a custom BOM table to get this information, but I have no good examples as to how to approach this.

Any help would be appreciated, Thank You.