Keyboard shortcuts SE 2023

Solid Edge, Synchronous Technology, Convergent Technology, and Siemens!
User6677
Answers: 0

Keyboard shortcuts SE 2023

Unread post by User6677 »

I'm just starting to use SE 2023 community edition (for hobby use mostly) and I'm having a "new user problem". Specifically I can't figure out how keyboard shortcuts work. There is a Solid Edge Keyboard Shortcuts Card online, but it seems to contain everything, but the most basic features such as line or smart dimension (there is however a shortcut there to switch between Line/Arc once we're in the line tool, no shortcut to activate line tool though).

Then I found a way to show the ribbon shortcuts by pressing Alt and holding it for a bit. This shows various Alt-X combinations to go to ribbon tabs, Alt-H for home, Alt-P for PMI and so on, then one can select two letters pressed together to activate functions on ribbon tabs. So for example one could run line tool by pressing Alt, releasing Alt, waiting, then pressing S then K (to activate Sketching tab) then press L then I to open line submenu and then press L for line. This seems to be extremely convoluted when compared with for example SW where one can simply press one key (L) in sketching mode.

There is also a customise menu where one can set individual shortcuts, but I would prefer to learn default shortcuts instead of setting my own.

So my question is. Is this very convoluted way of pressing Alt, then waiting, then pressing sequences of various buttons one after another, sometimes waiting for visual feedback and pressing more is the only default way? Or is there some I don't know, chording like Alt+S+L for line for example? If not what are other people doing? Defining their own?

There are some shortcuts I found like F3 to lock a plane, Alt-H to align to sketch normal etc so there are some "normal" shortcuts too, perhaps I just can't find a list of them.

Then there is also some peculiarity in how F3 works. Specifically, once one has a drawing plane highlighted (with a little lock) one can press F3 to start drawing on that plane, but then when done, one can't just press F3 again to exit the locked plane. One has to either highlight the plane with the mouse and then press F3 or click on the symbol with F3 written on it on the right of the screen. Could someone please let me know if there is a quicker way (ideally a single keystroke) to exit locked plane sketching?
mike miller
Answers: 7

Re: Keyboard shortcuts SE 2023

Unread post by mike miller »

Click the drop-down carrot and select customize.

image.png
You have to use modifier keys like Alt or Ctrl because SE uses a lot of context single keys during commands. (Also, I like to avoid using Shift combinations because typing in some text boxes will trigger that hotkey... :? )
image.png
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
KennyG
Answers: 7

Re: Keyboard shortcuts SE 2023

Unread post by KennyG »

Guessing you are the same user who recently asked the same question on the SE Community here:
https://community.sw.siemens.com/s/ques ... for-se2023