choice of 3D softawre

For cross-CAD, learning, and maybe a little friendly competition.
mgsvinc
Answers: 0

choice of 3D softawre

Unread post by mgsvinc »

Hello everyone, i'm not sure where to post this but herwe we go.

I was recently launched on a new project and I would like to have your opinion on a choice of software.
I work on Autocad and to make it simple I make layouts of production lines. I would like to switch to 3D software.
Basically, I get 3D models of machines (mainly in .step) that I implant in buildings (made on Archicad that I can have in .dxf). I also have to place pipes of different sizes.
I would also like to be able to modify the structure of the building (or model it in a basic way). Typically I would have to be able to change the height of a platform and change its size.
For now I have identified the following software:
_Autodesk Inventor
_Fusion 360
_NavisWorks
_Sketchup

Autodesk Inventor seems like a good option but it’s expansive. I don’t really know fusion 360 but it might be enough for me since I don’t really have to do mechanical design.
NavisWorks seems like a very good choice but for what I have understood I won’t be able to place any pipes or modify the structure of the buildings.
Sketchup is cheap and quick to use but I’m not sure that the .step files will import well and I’m not sure that the result I would get will be simple to be used by my suppliers (who use mainly Inventor) or by the architect (who use Archicad)

To summarize, I would like to:
In a first time: to quickly make a process implantation to validate the feasibility and to communicate our needs to our process suppliers.
In a second time: In project execution, build a 3D model including building, process and utilities by integrating the 3D design elements made by our suppliers and use it to analyze conflicts.

I would like to have your opinions on those softwares and if you know any that I haven’t heard of I would like to know them.
Thank you all.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: choice of 3D softawre

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Welcome to the forum. Solidworks is the only CAD software I've worked with. It should do what you want, but I don't know if it's the best option. Many of the members here have used multiple types, so hopefully one or more of them can give you more and better feedback.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
mgibeault
Answers: 1

Unread post by mgibeault »

Since you're an AutoCAD pro, Rhino could be a good choice; you will be productive immediately and it has a low price.
It's also very good at importing and exporting various file formats. With Grasshopper within Rhino you could parametrically control stuff like buildings, piping, etc.
Its community will be there to help you along the way; https://discourse.mcneel.com/
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

There is no "basic" or "simple" way to model in 3D.
You can't "cheat" like 2D and you should not.
Import is another problem. Parametric CAD don't work with them too well.
Most CAD has 30 days trial. Run a test project and see how it goes.
Non of them work like AutoCAD, so you'll need to learn them anyway.

I started on drafting board to ACAD 9-14, MDT14, IV R1-2023,SW 2005-2020.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Frederick_Law wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:25 am Non of them work like AutoCAD, so you'll need to learn them anyway.

I started on drafting board to ACAD 9-14, MDT14, IV R1-2023,SW 2005-2020.
That's some good advice. When you start modeling in 3d try to forget everything you know about AutoCAD.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Frederick_Law

I did 3D in ACAD14.
You cut them like in the mill.
Fill the hole up when you need to change it.
Manual assemble (move) in the file.
m2shell

Unread post by m2shell »

mgibeault wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:03 am Since you're an AutoCAD pro, Rhino could be a good choice; you will be productive immediately and it has a low price.
It's also very good at importing and exporting various file formats. With Grasshopper within Rhino you could parametrically control stuff like buildings, piping, etc.
Its community will be there to help you along the way; https://discourse.mcneel.com/
Do you have extensive experience with Grasshopper? If so please let me know any good resources - I'm always interested in learning more GH because its really fascinating.

From my (limited) experience I got the impression that Grasshopper is a totally different beast than parametric modeling a-la SW and IV etc. While I found that Grasshopper could do things like patterning with magnitudes greater complexity than SW, but I'm not sure if I'd put Grasshopper parametrics in the same bucket as SW, IV etc.

GH is more like let the math create the entire geometry. Parametric CAD is more like the math can tweak your measurements.

But most likely @Frederick_Law's advice is the most sensible: try out different packages on trial, see what you like. Of course SW loses out because they don't offer a trial package (as far as I know)
Frederick_Law

m2shell wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:49 pm Of course SW loses out because they don't offer a trial package (as far as I know)
All installation has 30 days trial.
Ok last one I tried was 2020.
DS might have screw changed that.
mgibeault
Answers: 1

Unread post by mgibeault »

m2shell wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:49 pm Do you have extensive experience with Grasshopper? If so please let me know any good resources - I'm always interested in learning more GH because its really fascinating.

From my (limited) experience I got the impression that Grasshopper is a totally different beast than parametric modeling a-la SW and IV etc. While I found that Grasshopper could do things like patterning with magnitudes greater complexity than SW, but I'm not sure if I'd put Grasshopper parametrics in the same bucket as SW, IV etc.

GH is more like let the math create the entire geometry. Parametric CAD is more like the math can tweak your measurements.

But most likely @Frederick_Law's advice is the most sensible: try out different packages on trial, see what you like. Of course SW loses out because they don't offer a trial package (as far as I know)
I've used Grasshopper a lot, but intermittently, over the years.
There's a new page that is a good reference for all Rhino ressources: https://www.rhino3d.com/learn/?query=ki ... modal=null
GH has no comparable in the CAD world.. there's a guy who model entire projects in GH: https://www.youtube.com/@ussagrasshopper7294
m2shell

Unread post by m2shell »

mgibeault wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:37 am
GH has no comparable in the CAD world.. there's a guy who model entire projects in GH: https://www.youtube.com/@ussagrasshopper7294
WOW. :!: :!: :!: