Screen recorder with sound

For cross-CAD, learning, and maybe a little friendly competition.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Screen recorder with sound

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Hey all,

I take care of training current/new employees and the way we do it currently is that I take a group of people, seclude and train them on the subject at hand, for instance, reading drawings. It's something I have to do every few months and my boss would like to avoid having to repeat this over and over as we currently are doing.

Our idea was to have me sit at a computer and give the training on a sort of "Zoom call", where my screen would be recorded and my face would be displayed in a corner, kinda like streamers do, ya know. @TooTallToby maybe you can help me on that one?

Anyways, to continue with the idea, we'd like to record small capsules of training to have people watch them rather then have us give the training each time. We understand that videos lose the dynamics of real trainings but it is not trivial to us.

The point is to build a 'catalogue' of videos that would be used as a "training guide" for new employees. Some videos would be short, some longer.

So, to the real issue at hand is, I'm looking for a program that would allow me to do what I desire, which is record my screen while having one or two user webcams displayed on it. Does anyone know anything that does something similar to what I would require? I'd need for it to pick up sound as well from user microphones.

Is there a free program for quick video editing also?
brandonklar
Answers: 0

Re: Screen recorder with sound

Unread post by brandonklar »

Try hitting windows+g. There's a built in screen recorder for gamers in windows. I'm not sure what it's limitations are (not sure if it picks up switching between programs or not), but we were suprised that it was there and we didn't know about it.

Even if it doesn't help you, I hope someone else sees this and finds use from it.
AlexLachance

brandonklar wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:15 pm Try hitting windows+g. There's a built in screen recorder for gamers in windows. I'm not sure what it's limitations are (not sure if it picks up switching between programs or not), but we were suprised that it was there and we didn't know about it.

Even if it doesn't help you, I hope someone else sees this and finds use from it.
That seems to do exactly what I want, I'll give it a try on friday and see if it fits my need. Thanks Brandon!

It's surprising that something like that is sort of hidden inside Windows.
CADNurd

Unread post by CADNurd »

OBS >> https://obsproject.com/

Completely free. Bit of a learning curve to it, but it does everything. Millions of users.
TooTallToby

Unread post by TooTallToby »

I use obs @AlexLachance - The best way to think of it is like powerpoint (with layered elements). But the key difference is that the layered elements can be:
- Still images
- Video footage
- Video feed (from a camera)
- Video feed (from a screen capture)

Hit me up on my contact page (TooTallToby.com/Contact) if you want to talk about it any further.
Good luck man,
Toby
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

@TooTallToby What about for editing? I don't think OSB does that or does it?
Jason
CADNurd

Unread post by CADNurd »

@AlexLachance Re. free, quick video editing - the best thing I found is the free and very lightweight (@80MB) Avidemux. Perfect for simple jobs like chopping off the beginning and end.
AlexLachance

Thanks @CADNurd, will look into it!
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I've been playing with both Filmora and Openshot. I can't offer an opinion because I'm a complete noob, but they had recommendations when I was looking for video editing software.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

TooTallToby wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:00 pm I use obs @AlexLachance - The best way to think of it is like powerpoint (with layered elements). But the key difference is that the layered elements can be:
- Still images
- Video footage
- Video feed (from a camera)
- Video feed (from a screen capture)

Hit me up on my contact page (TooTallToby.com/Contact) if you want to talk about it any further.
Good luck man,
Toby
I agree with Toby on this. I used to use Sony Vegas (and paid a lot for the privilege). But OBS is structured the same and does most of what you'd need for this type of thing. The layered approach gives you a lot of flexibility with audio, video, and pictures. And it is completely free. So, you don't have to pass a purchase by the bean counters.
It will come at a time cost, though. Unfortunately, anything as functional as OBS will take a little while to learn.
TooTallToby

Unread post by TooTallToby »

@jcapriotti I bought the Camtasia commercial program a few years ago and pay the sub every year. I think the initial purchase was 400 USD and the sub is 50 USD/year. Not free, but I get my moneys worth out of it.

Honestly looking back I wish I would have just bought and learned the Adobe suite - If I could go back and do it all over again that's what I would have done. Just food for thought. If you are looking for something free/cheap, I've heard DaVinci is good.
Ry-guy
Answers: 1

Unread post by Ry-guy »

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:46 am Hey all,

I take care of training current/new employees and the way we do it currently is that I take a group of people, seclude and train them on the subject at hand, for instance, reading drawings. It's something I have to do every few months and my boss would like to avoid having to repeat this over and over as we currently are doing.

Our idea was to have me sit at a computer and give the training on a sort of "Zoom call", where my screen would be recorded and my face would be displayed in a corner, kinda like streamers do, ya know. @TooTallToby maybe you can help me on that one?

Anyways, to continue with the idea, we'd like to record small capsules of training to have people watch them rather then have us give the training each time. We understand that videos lose the dynamics of real trainings but it is not trivial to us.

The point is to build a 'catalogue' of videos that would be used as a "training guide" for new employees. Some videos would be short, some longer.

So, to the real issue at hand is, I'm looking for a program that would allow me to do what I desire, which is record my screen while having one or two user webcams displayed on it. Does anyone know anything that does something similar to what I would require? I'd need for it to pick up sound as well from user microphones.

Is there a free program for quick video editing also?
Actually, if you are looking for free there are a couple tools you can use.
1. OBS Studio is pretty darn good!
2. PowerPoint- Yes PowerPoint you can actually record your screen and not just the presentation and put you in the corner too. I know, PP is not free but most users have MS Office. It does have some limited editing functions.

OVerall I like Camtasia but that is not free. For totally free use OBS Studio.

If you want training help, let me know. I have an instructional design background and have created everything from CAD training modules, to SAP training materials, to adult religion courses and even a college course (about 10 years ago).
The first thing you should let your boss know is how long it takes to actually do what (s)he is requesting you to do. Take a look at this site for the chart. https://www.td.org/insights/how-long-do ... ew-answers
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

TooTallToby wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:12 pm @jcapriotti I bought the Camtasia commercial program a few years ago and pay the sub every year. I think the initial purchase was 400 USD and the sub is 50 USD/year. Not free, but I get my moneys worth out of it.

Honestly looking back I wish I would have just bought leased and learned the Adobe suite - If I could go back and do it all over again that's what I would have done. Just food for thought. If you are looking for something free/cheap, I've heard DaVinci is good.
FIFY.

I assume by Adobe you mean there Adobe Premiere product. I've never used any video editing software, is Premiere better or easier to use than Camtasia? Not sure I'd ever go the Adobe route simply because I believe that software leasing is unethical business behavior that only benefits the software company.
Jason