Exploded Assemblies

SPerman
Answers: 13

Exploded Assemblies

Unread post by SPerman »

Many of my assemblies have exploded views for the guy on the floor building the machines. Every time I open one of those assemblies, it defaults to the exploded view, even though the configuration being shown isn't exploded. Is this normal SW behavior? SW 2022 SP5.
image.png
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: Exploded Assemblies

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

I don't use exploded views very often, but I thought it opened the file in whatever form it was when it was last saved. I assume you collapse it, save, and it still opens exploded?
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I opened it from the parent assembly. It opens to the configuration used in that assembly, but the parts are in the position of the exploded configuration, not the one used in the assembly, or shown as selected in the configuration manager.

I could probably create a post like this daily, but chose not to because it rarely leads to anything other than another SPR I'm attached to.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I decided to record a GIF to better show what was going on. I got this instead.

showdep.gif
I had to reboot after 10 minutes of waiting. I love SW.
-
AlexB
Answers: 24

Unread post by AlexB »

I looked in the KB and there are a few different entries regarding exploded views showing when they shouldn't. I couldn't reproduce any though.

I tried to open my sub-assembly that uses and exploded view from 2021 SP5 and 2022 SP5 and all opened in the collapsed state.

I can only imagine that the offending assembly may have been last saved with the exploded view active. If I think like Solidworks, when you open via the parent assembly, it may not realize that it needs to collapse the exploded view before changing the active configuration to the one you wanted. Even if you open it from your parent assembly, the exploded view still shows.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

AlexB wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:42 pm I can only imagine that the offending assembly may have been last saved with the exploded view active. If I think like Solidworks, when you open via the parent assembly, it may not realize that it needs to collapse the exploded view before changing the active configuration to the one you wanted. Even if you open it from your parent assembly, the exploded view still shows.
You are probably correct. The exploded drawing were the last thing I did in those assemblies.
-