CATIA wont let me sketch

DanGi
Answers: 0

CATIA wont let me sketch

Unread post by DanGi »

Hi, sorry if you dont want CAD noobs spamming the forum but it seems most other forums dont let non-professionals join or they seem to not let me make an account for me for some reason.
Anyway.
When I create a new part it often lets me make things for a while but then it stops letting me sketch.
IDK if the screenshot will help, I assume this is just a beginner error.
image.png
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: CATIA wont let me sketch

Unread post by AlexLachance »

You don't seem to be in a sketch mode, but I'm not familiar with Catia. Try double clicking on the sketch on the left to see if the commands pop up
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

So it looks like you are in an active sketch, and you have the circle command activated.

What happens when you click and drag or click and click? Does it create the circle and then immediately disappear? Or does it do something else?

And CAD noobs are why we are here!! Spam away (within reason).
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

I'd initiate the manual override. :D
Attachments
fd).png
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
GrahamK
Answers: 0

Unread post by GrahamK »

Can't see any reason why you can't create the circle you are trying to sketch, but do have a few suggestions which will help you use Catia:

1) Turn off the grid and snap to grid when working in sketcher... I find it much easier to use that way.
2) If you don't want to have irate manufacturing guys, then your multi-section solid should be a revolution... that way the manufacturing guys will just use the underlying sketch to turn the profile rather than having to create new geometry.
3) Turn off hybrid design... much easier to work with the tree and some company's will reject model if done in hybrid design. This mode can also be the cause of many strange things happening in Catia.