Editing Holes

Discuss Fusion 360 with other users
SPerman
Answers: 13

Editing Holes

Unread post by SPerman »

I bought a router for work last year to make some smaller difficult parts that we couldn't get made affordably out of house. I am doing all of the cad work in solidworks, but I am doing the cam in Fusion 360. I will readily admit that I have spent as little time as possible learning the software. While I do the modeling in SW, there have been times when I needed to add some fixturing geometry, and didn't want to have to re-import the model and start over.

I added some holes in my part (using the hole command) and then decided they needed to be a different diameter. From what I can tell, by default Fusion 360 is in "history free" mode, and as such, the only way to change the diameter of the 6 holes is to select each individually and do a push/pull (which I could never make work, but I'm sure that's on me.)

One of you guys in love with history free modeling will have to explain to me why that is better than editing a single dimension.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
bnemec
Answers: 10

Re: Editing Holes

Unread post by bnemec »

Does it have some feature to offset faces by a discrete value?
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

That is what the push/pull feature does. I think you can also enter a new diameter, but I gave up and deleted the old feature and recreated it with a new diameter.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

SPerman wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:34 pm That is what the push/pull feature does. I think you can also enter a new diameter, but I gave up and deleted the old feature and recreated it with a new diameter.
That is one of my biggest pet peeves when people decide it's easier to do it wrong. I'm not saying it's wrong in your case Scott, but it is most definitely wrong in our usage as they likely just broke the mates in dozens of assemblies, sometimes hundreds along with any drawing annotations at the various levels that are attached to that geometry. I'm a bit envious of the places that can just willy-nilly delete faces then add new features.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I agree with you. This was a "just get the job done" solution, with no downstream consequences.

I am really hoping someone comes along and tells me I did it wrong, or explains how easy it is to make changes in the "history free" world.
-
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

SPerman wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:17 am I am really hoping someone comes along and tells me I did it wrong, or explains how easy it is to make changes in the "history free" world.
Use Solid Edge? **
Jason
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

As soon as I get the email from solidworks mentioned in other threads, I will be doing a serious deep dive into justifying the expense of NX. (Minimum 3 year subscription, etc.)
-