refresh cache during login does nothing

Discuss SolidWorks PDM
mp3-250
Answers: 18

refresh cache during login does nothing

Unread post by mp3-250 »

I have this setting on for admin and all users group.
I would like to cache two folders: toolbox (that we keep mainly for backward data compatibility and hole wizard customizations) and our template folder.

I noticed that "refresh cache during login" *sometimes* works, but almost fails.

If I log in with the admin account it works often, but still failing from time to time, On different machines, In a inconsistent way.

There is a way to have a user getIng the latest version of a folder at every login In the vault In a consistent way.

Another alternative: it is possible to create a dispatch that trigger getting the latest version of a FOLDER and all the files inside its hierarchy?

Thanks in advance.
Hansjoerg
Answers: 3

Re: refresh cache during login does nothing

Unread post by Hansjoerg »

I also put the templates and toolbox in PDM and refresh the cache when I log in. I've only had trouble with the update not working reliably on one client. But the problem was probably because that client had WIN 11 installed.
When do you start the PDM on the clients? I put the PDM in the autostart folder on all clients and set it to log on automatically. This ensures that the cache update is done before SWX is started.
All the "good" news about SWX makes me feel like I'm driving a truck with two trailers straight into a dead end.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Is autologin set for all the clients?
image.png
I've found that when presented with this box:
image.png
Most users click the close dialog X and quickly click Yes on this one:
image.png
Some of the more "advanced" users will unknowingly end up in offline mode.

By not refreshing, what exactly are you not seeing? Client still showing that it has old version? Or file(s) not even in local cache?
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

There was an old bug where if you launched the "Search.exe" and PDM prompts for login, it wouldn't trigger the cache. You had to login by accessing the vault directly. Never tested but sometimes I get prompted by PDM to login on Windows boot up. Not sure if the cache works in that case.
Jason
rodface
Answers: 0

Unread post by rodface »

These posts explain behaviors I've seen in my current user group. They favor Search.exe over Explorer.exe for accessing vault files; and I have seen an unusually high rate of "blue folder issues" with this group.

The automatic login sounds like it should help with the caching issue
mp3-250
Answers: 18

Unread post by mp3-250 »

My undestanding is that automatic login will take immediately a license: that would be not feasible for us as many users use pdm only when needed. we track the license statistics and our current licenses are less than the users and still more than sufficient.
more than 100 licenses for pdm and cad combined, which IMHO are alrrady too much expensive considering maintenance costs the zero added value from the support contract with the VAR etc.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

mp3-250 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:45 pm My undestanding is that automatic login will take immediately a license: that would be not feasible for us as many users use pdm only when needed. we track the license statistics and our current licenses are less than the users and still more than sufficient.
more than 100 licenses for pdm and cad combined, which IMHO are alrrady too much expensive considering maintenance costs the zero added value from the support contract with the VAR etc.
The license is returned after a set time of no vault actions. That time can be set in the flex lm settings file. Trouble is that the combination of Windows "quick access" behavior the vault path is getting pinged all the time. I intentionally leave automatic login off on my machine. Outlook is usually the process that hits vault path first. Sometimes opening explorer does it. I'm guessing both are hitting the recent file list. Anyway, if you can get all the windows "help me be more distracted efficient" stuff to stop hitting vault path(S) all the time, PDM will release licenses. I think ours is set to 15 minutes, default was 30 IIRC.
andrmollo
Answers: 1

Unread post by andrmollo »

I have the same problem at my company; in our case the bug seems to affect only windows 11 machine but it is very inconsistent.

I contacted my VAR about it. They suggested a change in the registry to enable a PDM feature that have been removed in 2019 due to performance improvement (https://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2019/ ... w-refresh/). Here is the code:

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\Namespace]
"EnableAutoFileRefresh"=dword:00000001

Attached you can find the regedit, se at your own risk.

We are currently testing it, and it seems to work fine with no drawbacks. I hope it helps.

I'm also curious if others have other workaround.
Attachments
S-075961 - Enable Auto Refresh.zip
(371 Bytes) Downloaded 35 times
andrmollo
Answers: 1

Unread post by andrmollo »

andrmollo wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:54 am I have the same problem at my company; in our case the bug seems to affect only windows 11 machine but it is very inconsistent.

I contacted my VAR about it. They suggested a change in the registry to enable a PDM feature that have been removed in 2019 due to performance improvement (https://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2019/ ... w-refresh/). Here is the code:

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\Namespace]
"EnableAutoFileRefresh"=dword:00000001

Attached you can find the regedit, se at your own risk.

We are currently testing it, and it seems to work fine with no drawbacks. I hope it helps.

I'm also curious if others have other workaround.
With further tests I was able to resolve the issue by setting the windows explorer options to open to "This PC" and not to "Quick access", see the screenshot below (sorry in italian).
explorer_AhlvoVja9B.png
Hansjoerg
Answers: 3

Unread post by Hansjoerg »

Hansjoerg wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:34 am ....I've only had trouble with the update not working reliably on one client. But the problem was probably because that client had WIN 11 installed....
I must correct myself.
I have the problem not only on a client with W11, but also on clients with W10!
And not only on one client, but on several.

The solution of andrmollo with the change in the windows explorer options has not led to any improvement for me.
All the "good" news about SWX makes me feel like I'm driving a truck with two trailers straight into a dead end.