SolidWorks x ChatGPT

JuTu
Answers: 1

SolidWorks x ChatGPT

Unread post by JuTu »

We were discussing about various topics around coffee table with my colleagues and one of them had the idea to ask ChatGPT about it and here is the conversation:

Code: Select all

(Give me step by step instructions to model turbine blade in solid works 2020)

Sure, here are the step-by-step instructions to model a turbine blade in SolidWorks 2020:

Start a new part in SolidWorks by going to File > New > Part.

Go to the Sketch tab in the Feature Manager and create a sketch on the Front plane.

Draw the profile of the turbine blade by using the necessary sketch tools such as lines, arcs, splines, and circles. Ensure that the sketch is fully defined and closed.

Use the Revolve Boss/Base command to create the 3D shape of the blade. Go to the Features tab in the Feature Manager and click on Revolve Boss/Base. Select the sketch and the axis of revolution to create the blade.

Use the Fillet command to add fillets to the blade edges. Go to the Features tab and click on Fillet. Select the edges that you want to fillet and specify the radius of the fillet.

Create the blade root by sketching a circle on the Front plane and using the Extrude Boss/Base command to create a cylinder that will attach to the blade.

Use the Mirror command to mirror the blade and the blade root to create the other half of the turbine blade. Go to the Features tab and click on Mirror. Select the blade and the blade root, and specify the plane of symmetry.

Use the Pattern command to create multiple blades if needed. Go to the Features tab and click on Pattern. Select the blade and the blade root, and specify the number of instances and the spacing.

Add any additional details to the blade such as cooling holes, surface textures, or chamfers.

Save the part by going to File > Save As and choosing a file name and location.

These are the basic steps to model a turbine blade in SolidWorks 2020. However, it is important to note that the specific details and steps may vary depending on the specific requirements and design considerations for your project.

(Please explain step 4, why do we revolve the blade?)

In step 4, we use the Revolve Boss/Base command in SolidWorks to create the 3D shape of the turbine blade by revolving a 2D sketch around an axis of rotation.

The reason for revolving the blade is to create a solid, 3D model that has rotational symmetry around its axis of rotation. This is a common approach used in many mechanical design applications, including turbine blade design.

By revolving the 2D sketch, we can create a blade that has the desired aerodynamic shape while ensuring that it is symmetrical and balanced around its axis of rotation. This is important for ensuring smooth and efficient operation of the turbine blade when it is in use.

Additionally, using a revolve feature to create the blade allows for easy modification and refinement of the blade design. By changing the sketch, we can quickly and easily update the 3D model of the blade without having to manually modify each feature. This saves time and ensures accuracy in the design process.
Human input between parenthesis.

And... uhm... I'm not scared of losing my job anytime soon with this "knowledge" quality <ll>

In a way... it sounds convincing but... revolve the sketch to form a blade? ...Interesting...
Sincerely,
JuTu
Answers: 0

Re: SolidWorks x ChatGPT

Unread post by bearsfeat »

What fun!
I had heard that at SolidWorks World, one of the speakers was talking about artificial intelligence and asked ChatGPT if it knew the SolidWorks API language. It said "yes" so the speaker asked it to create a spiral staircase. He said that the solid model it created using the API language was 80% usable. So that would mean somewhere around an 80% savings in time for users like us! I certainly hope that never number never gets to 100%. Then maybe our jobs will be in jeopardy! It is quite an interesting tool that has just been invented. I'm looking forward to see where it leads us.
JuTu
Answers: 1

Unread post by JuTu »

Oh that one also.

I asked ChatGPT to create me a macro to set the width of feature manager with a press of a button. Well... it didnt work as the chatbot insisted me to check that I have a VBA reference library enabled for SolidWorks that doesnt exist :lol:

I didnt have enough knowledge and attention span to figure out the fix.
Sincerely,
JuTu
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

JuTu wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:14 am I didnt have enough knowledge and attention span to figure out the fix.

Hmm, ChatADHD **
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Need to retrain GPT.
First uninstall Solidworks.
Second install other CAD software.