New to Forums

Several announcements for new users.
Darryl entrepreneur
Answers: 0

New to Forums

Unread post by Darryl entrepreneur »

Hi All. Darryl D is my name. Im new here and have a few questions. I have been using solid Works for 20 years but only use it for my needs. I am now in business and have real needs. Money...obviously being a concern.. I need to create Dwg's of parts to be tube lasered . I use solid edge for sheet metal and it serves its purpose well. Back to Cutting angle iron and tubing. Can anyone please direct me to a super cheep or even free software that I can download for this purpose.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: New to Forums

Unread post by AlexLachance »

SolidEdge and SolidWorks can both generate DWG/DXF's for you, what is it exactly you require?
Darryl entrepreneur

I am wanting to start getting my tubing and angle iron cut with a tube laser and need software that can save in STP file extension. I can not afford the big guys. lol. so I need something cheap if not free.. lol. it is what it is ..
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

Darryl entrepreneur wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:02 pm I am wanting to start getting my tubing and angle iron cut with a tube laser and need software that can save in STP file extension. I can not afford the big guys. lol. so I need something cheap if not free.. lol. it is what it is ..
SolidWorks, Solid Edge, Inventor, Fusion360, IronCAD, Onshape. . . can all save a 3D file as STEP, ACIS, Parasolid, and IGES formats. I am not even aware of a 3D program that cannot.

Whatever program you are using just open the part file and go to Save As and look at the various file types available.
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

DennisD wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:33 am SolidWorks, Solid Edge, Inventor, Fusion360, IronCAD, Onshape.
Fusion 360, Solidworks, Solidedge and NX all have free versions. I assume the others listed above do as well. They all have limitations on what you can and can't do, but one of them should be able to generate the files you need.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

You lost me at "I need to create Dwg's of parts to be tube lasered ."

I don't know much about tube lasers, but from what I've heard the programming software uses 3D files rather than 2D (dxf) like table lasers use.
Darryl entrepreneur

Thank you all. I do use solid works 07 .. Ya, I know.. A little outdated but for most of my needs, it is still very useful. I will get back to the program and figure it out with all of the advice here. some a little difficult to figure but I certainly got the Brick Wall thought from Randy. Thanks again everyone. This was by far the most helpful forum of them all. Cheers
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

SolidEdge has a free version.
File for "3D laser" depends on the laser.
I had dxf for Trumpf with a rotary for tube.
I "flatten" the tube with k=1 and send dxf.