solidworks 95beta??

mp3-250
Answers: 18

solidworks 95beta??

Unread post by mp3-250 »

SW2022SP5

The other day I was playing with my test PC resettIng the registry to default and switching back and forth to our company settings and somehow when creating a new file from the file menu I got a template dialog with 3 templates named "empty" (or probably "blank" as I am not localized in english I cannot say for sure what is the correct translation in SW)
well it seems that SW had no templates at that moment and the new part file that came out was strange...e.g. I was not able to insert a sensor and the command returned no error at all.

I reproduced it a couple of times and the file properties (first tab in the custom property dialog) shown the file format as "solidworks 95 beta"

Instead of creating a new file from the file-new menu, I selected the part icon from the welcome screen and I was able to insert a sensor a usual. file properties identified the file as "solidworks 2022" as it should be. at that point the correct empty templates where apparently created in disk (default location C:\Program Data\Solidworks... )
Frank_Oostendorp
Answers: 2

Re: solidworks 95beta??

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

Nice to see these old formats appear.
image.png
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

So they never bother updating the internal default template.
Or do they still have the source code to update that?
JSculley
Answers: 54

Unread post by JSculley »

mp3-250 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:00 pm SW2022SP5

The other day I was playing with my test PC resettIng the registry to default and switching back and forth to our company settings and somehow when creating a new file from the file menu I got a template dialog with 3 templates named "empty" (or probably "blank" as I am not localized in english I cannot say for sure what is the correct translation in SW)
well it seems that SW had no templates at that moment and the new part file that came out was strange...e.g. I was not able to insert a sensor and the command returned no error at all.

I reproduced it a couple of times and the file properties (first tab in the custom property dialog) shown the file format as "solidworks 95 beta"

Instead of creating a new file from the file-new menu, I selected the part icon from the welcome screen and I was able to insert a sensor a usual. file properties identified the file as "solidworks 2022" as it should be. at that point the correct empty templates where apparently created in disk (default location C:\Program Data\Solidworks... )
In the bad files, right click one of the default planes and select 'Feature Properties'. What dates are listed there for created and modified?
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

@JSculley It was the first thing I looked at that when I saw the bad file. unfortunately the date was the creation date aka 2023... scary as hell!
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

@Frank_Oostendorp that's it!
were you able to reproduce it?
strangely the new file from the welcome screen gave correct 2022 empty files.
Frank_Oostendorp

mp3-250 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:15 pm @Frank_Oostendorp that's it!
were you able to reproduce it?
strangely the new file from the welcome screen gave correct 2022 empty files.
Yes, if SolidWorks can't find templates, it creates or finds one, showing the 95 Beta property. So somewhere, this data is present, after almost 30 years. <()>
Frank_Oostendorp

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:56 pm So they never bother updating the internal default template.
Or do they still have the source code to update that?
The file structure has become a mess. In stead of updating, they just added new files on other locations, leaving the old ones. And on top of that, some equal data is present on up to 6 locations. In my job a no-go. There is only one set of data, that can be called for by multiple routines of multiple processors. Always wondered why the amount of installed data has become huge. ;;