Configurations of Subassemblies in a master assembly

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
GTR84
Answers: 0

Configurations of Subassemblies in a master assembly

Unread post by GTR84 »

I'm newish to solidworks and trying to fully understand configurations. I have a panel that is an assembly of various parts. I have created 2 configurations of this which changes the size of all the parts, this is all working good. The issue is when I put these subassemblies into another master assembly I cant get the 2 configurations to display, it only seems to display one or the other. Is there a way to make this work, I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks alot
Attachments
Corner Panel Test 1.SLDPRT
(1.26 MiB) Downloaded 52 times
Corner Panel Test 1.SLDASM
(382.43 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
master assembly.JPG
Config 2.JPG
Config 1.JPG
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Re: Configurations of Subassemblies in a master assembly

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Are the configurations that change the part at the part level, or the subassembly level?

Because you will need configurations of the different styles of the part at the part level, then you can call those configurations at the sub assembly level.

Then, you can call the 2 configurations at the main assembly level.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
GTR84

Unread post by GTR84 »

Thanks for the reply. The configuration is at the part level. The configuration drives a sketch of the sheet metal part changing the sheet size. By changing the sketch configuration at part level it updates in my sub assembly. I'm not sure how to get the update to carry through to the main assembly.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

GTR84 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:43 am Thanks for the reply. The configuration is at the part level. The configuration drives a sketch of the sheet metal part changing the sheet size. By changing the sketch configuration at part level it updates in my sub assembly. I'm not sure how to get the update to carry through to the main assembly.
Create configs in each of the assemblies and sub-assemblies that correspond to the part's configuration and then toggle in each config the appropriate config.

Start from the first level assembly and climb up to your master assembly.

When a sub-assembly has it's configurations created, in the higher level you will only need to select the right configuation of the assembly. Do not touch anything below or you will affect the entire configurations.
GTR84

Unread post by GTR84 »

Thanks for the replies. I have attached the zip file of the master assembly now for clarity
Attachments
Configuration Test.zip
(4.92 MiB) Downloaded 49 times
GTR84

Unread post by GTR84 »

AlexLachance wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:52 am Create configs in each of the assemblies and sub-assemblies that correspond to the part's configuration and then toggle in each config the appropriate config.

Start from the first level assembly and climb up to your master assembly.

When a sub-assembly has it's configurations created, in the higher level you will only need to select the right configuation of the assembly. Do not touch anything below or you will affect the entire configurations.
Thanks for the reply. So I would need different configurations of my master assembly to display the configurations of my subassembly correctly?

My master assembly is going to have 100's of subassemblies ( i have just given a small example), it wont be practible to have so main configurations of the master assembly. Maybe im misunderstanding what you've said?

Is there any way to have different configurations of a subassembly in a master assembly without the configurations interfering with each other?

Thanks alot
Tera
Answers: 2

Unread post by Tera »

Is this what you're trying to achieve?
-
2023-04-22_15-18-40.jpg
-
Check Assmebly1 in attached file.
You need to have configurations in Stiffeners & Top Angle too. Because these two parts' length changes in your configs too.
Attachments
Corner Panel Test 1.zip
(2.31 MiB) Downloaded 57 times
GTR84

Unread post by GTR84 »

Tera wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:22 am Is this what you're trying to achieve?
-
2023-04-22_15-18-40.jpg
-
Check Assmebly1 in attached file.
You need to have configurations in Stiffeners & Top Angle too. Because these two parts' length changes in your configs too.
wow, thank you so much , thats exactly what im trying to achieve. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out :D

Out of curiousity , do you think there is a better way to do this ?
GTR84

Unread post by GTR84 »

I have tried to recreate the solution but im still having an issue, one of the side angles wont move in the assembly. Its bizarre as I cant see any difference to the file you sent me, i dont think you even needed to do anything with the side angles? Would you mind to please have a look at the attached to see where im going wrong, i have spent hours on it and cant figure it out :oops:
Attachments
crn panel issue.JPG
Crn Assemb 2.zip
(3.02 MiB) Downloaded 42 times
XHawkeye
Answers: 1

Unread post by XHawkeye »

It's because currently everything fixed. If it's fixed it won't move when the length of the panel changes. If you mate the angle to the panel
then it will move with the panel. Best practice is only have your first part fixed and use mates to locate all other parts in an assembly.
Capture166.JPG
With mates added

Capture167.JPG
In the other configuration will need to unsuppress the new mates.
XHawkeye
Answers: 1

Unread post by XHawkeye »

An example of using mates with configurations.
Capture170.JPG
Have an RF filter with a frequency range of 380 - 512 and in the top level the distance mates are suppressed so I can move the tuning assembly thru its range of motion. Could've used a limit mate but didn't need one.

Capture173.JPG
With the 380 configuration the 380 mate is unsuppressed and in the 512 configuration the 512 mate is unsuppressed. Added the 380/512 mates to lock the assembly in position to design limit switch placement.

The 380 and 512 mate could have be done with (1) mate and by editing dimension for each configuration.
Tera
Answers: 2

Unread post by Tera »

GTR84 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:23 pm I have tried to recreate the solution but im still having an issue, one of the side angles wont move in the assembly. Its bizarre as I cant see any difference to the file you sent me, i dont think you even needed to do anything with the side angles? Would you mind to please have a look at the attached to see where im going wrong, i have spent hours on it and cant figure it out :oops:
Sorry I was away for a while. As others have mentioned, you've fixed all components and it prevents them to move with the change in size and length. As you see in my uploaded assembly, I floated the side angles and added mates.