Hole Pattern - adding holes as part grows

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Hole Pattern - adding holes as part grows

Unread post by TTevolve »

I am doing a door assembly and one of the parts has to get holes in it around the outer edge for rivets. The corner holes need to be 3/4" in from the edge and then the rest should be 9" apart.
image.png
Is there a way to get the hole pattern to add/subtract another hole as needed when the part grows and shrinks?
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: Hole Pattern - adding holes as part grows

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Create the linear pattern (or edit an existing one) and select "Up to reference" instead of the default "Spacing and instances." By doing that the number of holes will adjust to match the distance.

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
XHawkeye
Answers: 1

Unread post by XHawkeye »

@Glenn Schroeder the 'Up to ref..." is new to me. I've always used equations, in an Excel Design Table, to calculate the values in the sketch array and keep it centered on the part. I'll have to try 'Up to ref..." next time and see how that works.
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Unread post by gupta9665 »

XHawkeye wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:01 pm @Glenn Schroeder the 'Up to ref..." is new to me. I've always used equations, in an Excel Design Table, to calculate the values in the sketch array and keep it centered on the part. I'll have to try 'Up to ref..." next time and see how that works.
You will love the "Up to Ref.."
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

XHawkeye wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:01 pm @Glenn Schroeder the 'Up to ref..." is new to me. I've always used equations, in an Excel Design Table, to calculate the values in the sketch array and keep it centered on the part. I'll have to try 'Up to ref..." next time and see how that works.
I use it all the time. For example, when I'm patterning rebar in concrete. I place the first one near one end of the concrete, then pattern the rest using the opposite face. If the size changes during the design phase (which we all know happens frequently), the stirrup pattern updates automatically.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"