How do I search for an exact phrase?

We're all ears.
SPerman
Answers: 13

How do I search for an exact phrase?

Unread post by SPerman »

Is it possible on phpbb to search for an exact phrase? If I enter exact phrase in the search bar, I get any posts that contain either exact or phrase. Adding quotes does not change the result. Searching for exact AND phrase requires both terms be in the post, but not necessarily adjacent to each other.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
JSculley
Answers: 53

Re: How do I search for an exact phrase?

Unread post by JSculley »

phpBB indexes words in its database. Indexing phrases is a whole different animal. However, make sure you have this option selected in search options:
image.png
It seems to do a good job of looking for the word in the order specified. For example, searching for enhanced graphics gives 61 results and they all seem to have the two words in order. With the other options selected, the count is 475.

You can also use the Google search option, but it is dependent on the last time Google indexed the site.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: How do I search for an exact phrase?

Unread post by AlexLachance »

JSculley wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:21 am phpBB indexes words in its database. Indexing phrases is a whole different animal. However, make sure you have this option selected in search options:
image.png

It seems to do a good job of looking for the word in the order specified. For example, searching for enhanced graphics gives 61 results and they all seem to have the two words in order. With the other options selected, the count is 475.

You can also use the Google search option, but it is dependent on the last time Google indexed the site.

I think Google indexes the sites they do index on a permanent basis
image.png