Exactly placing a rectangular slot

Solid Edge, Synchronous Technology, Convergent Technology, and Siemens!
pnb
Answers: 0

Exactly placing a rectangular slot

Unread post by pnb »

HI, I am new to SE 2023 Community Edition and feeling my way by trying to draw a box for a small Sub Woofer that I previously drew with my old CAD software, please excuse me if I use the wrong terminology.
The box is made from 18mm MDF or Ply and the panel joints are made by using 6mm edge tongues into a 6mm slots in the mating panels.
I have managed to draw the 6 outer panels okay but I am struggling to place the 6mm slot for an internal panel. I cannot seem to be able to place a rectangular 'box' to extrude from, exactly where I want.
Some suggestions please!
Ronan1961

Re: Exactly placing a rectangular slot

Unread post by Ronan1961 »

Could you post the part file or a step file of the part or a screen shot of what you are trying to do. I am learning the community edition too.
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

Can you go through where in the process you're having trouble? Sketching the rectangle, adding relations or dimensions?
pnb

Unread post by pnb »

Thanks for the replies.
I haven't tried but I believe the Community Edition restricts its file sharing !

I have made some progress. hovering over the drawn slot identifies it in Pathfinder. Alternatively you can click on the likely entries in Pathfinder until it highlights in the drawing.
This produces a Wheel with Perpendicular Arrows (no idea what it is called) over the sketch, this can be used to rotate or move the sketch to a new position, success !
I am now faced with another problem. I have sketched a rectangle on the face of my panel and want to extrude it back 12 mm into the Panel to produce tongues on the edges. Highlighting it and extruding SE chooses to extrude the whole panel, not the highlighted edge ??

I tried to include a screen capture but failed. :oops:
Pernils
Answers: 1

Unread post by Pernils »

I don't know what you are after but perhaps something from my small tut could point you in the right direction ..
viewtopic.php?p=26985#p26985
KennyG
Answers: 7

Unread post by KennyG »

It is picking the Regions to extrude, so select inside your rectangle rather than on it as you are grabbing the region outside of your rectangle.
pnb

Unread post by pnb »

Thanks again for the replies.
Trial and error make a great teacher! I have now found how to use the Steering Wheel and to move it about to get the desired orientation for changes.
I have also learnt the correct Select and Extrude process.

My panels are now all drawn and so I am onto Assembly. Even with Smart Fix it looks like some of my Panels are not quite correctly fitted. Not quite Perpendicular to each other and slightly twisted. Videos on Assembly in SE 2023 seem a bit few and far between so more trial and error!
pnb

Unread post by pnb »

Success, all assembled and looking like all the joints are as they should be.
One last change is now needed. In the Isometric view the Front is shown as 'Bottom' on the cube, and that is upside down!
I have done some searches to see how I can correct this but not yet found an answer.
SE Sub.JPG
Pernils
Answers: 1

Unread post by Pernils »

pnb wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:44 pm Success, all assembled and looking like all the joints are as they should be.
One last change is now needed. In the Isometric view the Front is shown as 'Bottom' on the cube, and that is upside down!
I have done some searches to see how I can correct this but not yet found an answer.
SE Sub.JPG
I have never bother to have the orientation cube with sort "proper" side following what's up and down on the part.
When placing on the drawing you have fine control on what side you want to show comparing to the crippled SW.