How would you do this?

For cross-CAD, learning, and maybe a little friendly competition.
nwillis858
Answers: 0

How would you do this?

Unread post by nwillis858 »

Hello all,

I am currently in the process of generating files so I can cnc rout all the parts one would need to build an F5 mandolin.

I have files for the top and back plates. The traditional thing to do is inset a piece of 3/16" by 0.090" piece of plastic all around the edge of the top and back. Cutting the channel for this to be set in is the most tedious part of building one. I'd like my cad files to include this geometry so I don't have to do this by hand anymore.

It seems like this is the hardest part of generating cad files for this as well. The side of the channel has to be straight vertical, and the top is not flat, it curves towards or away from the edge of this channel. The channel must be a consistent depth, even though the top is not consistently thick.

How would you go about doing this? The geometry is so complex that every program's fillet won't work. What I sort of need is a tool that behaves like a router.

Anyway thanks
zwei
Answers: 18

Re: How would you do this?

Unread post by zwei »

Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
zxys001
Answers: 4

Re: How would you do this?

Unread post by zxys001 »

nwillis858 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 6:54 pm Hello all,

I am currently in the process of generating files so I can cnc rout all the parts one would need to build an F5 mandolin.

I have files for the top and back plates. The traditional thing to do is inset a piece of 3/16" by 0.090" piece of plastic all around the edge of the top and back. Cutting the channel for this to be set in is the most tedious part of building one. I'd like my cad files to include this geometry so I don't have to do this by hand anymore.

It seems like this is the hardest part of generating cad files for this as well. The side of the channel has to be straight vertical, and the top is not flat, it curves towards or away from the edge of this channel. The channel must be a consistent depth, even though the top is not consistently thick.

How would you go about doing this? The geometry is so complex that every program's fillet won't work. What I sort of need is a tool that behaves like a router.

Anyway thanks
Hi nwillis858,... so, there are quite a few 2D drawings and 3D models you can refer too... it's a challenging shape...
Here's one which is fairly easy to import (FBX into Rhino3D).. https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/f-style ... f3acdc6065

And it would take time but if you have time... good luck!
Attachments
2023-05-22 22 05 42.png
2023-05-22 22 05 30.png
2023-05-22 22 00 04.png
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau