PDM, Type column in "Columns" vs Contains/WU tabs

Discuss SolidWorks PDM
bnemec
Answers: 10

PDM, Type column in "Columns" vs Contains/WU tabs

Unread post by bnemec »

Is there a way to add the <File Type> column to the Explorer/Search results as a narrow icon column as they are in the Contains and Where Used tabs? I have the <File Type> in the column sets defined in Admin Tool but it's a wide column and making it narrow is useless as all the file types start with "Solidworks" When sorting by file type a simple icon column would be much better.

Thanks.
by jcapriotti » Tue May 23, 2023 5:24 pm
bnemec wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 3:53 pm Is there a way to add the <File Type> column to the Explorer/Search results as a narrow icon column as they are in the Contains and Where Used tabs? I have the <File Type> in the column sets defined in Admin Tool but it's a wide column and making it narrow is useless as all the file types start with "Solidworks" When sorting by file type a simple icon column would be much better.
Doesn't look like you can. I'm guessing the reason is the file view is just Windows Explorer and the "Type" field is the type as registered by Windows, whether in the PDM vault or outside looking at files. The Contains, Where-used, BOM sections are PDM designed objects and they can show what they want there. Looks like they just show the Windows registered icon for the file type.

They did add "icons" for the "State" column detail view in Windows Explorer so maybe its a possible enhancement.
image.png
Go to full post
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Re: PDM, Type column in "Columns" vs Contains/WU tabs

Unread post by jcapriotti »

bnemec wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 3:53 pm Is there a way to add the <File Type> column to the Explorer/Search results as a narrow icon column as they are in the Contains and Where Used tabs? I have the <File Type> in the column sets defined in Admin Tool but it's a wide column and making it narrow is useless as all the file types start with "Solidworks" When sorting by file type a simple icon column would be much better.
Doesn't look like you can. I'm guessing the reason is the file view is just Windows Explorer and the "Type" field is the type as registered by Windows, whether in the PDM vault or outside looking at files. The Contains, Where-used, BOM sections are PDM designed objects and they can show what they want there. Looks like they just show the Windows registered icon for the file type.

They did add "icons" for the "State" column detail view in Windows Explorer so maybe its a possible enhancement.
image.png
Jason