Annotations & Sheet Scale

m2shell
Answers: 0

Annotations & Sheet Scale

Unread post by m2shell »

I have 2 drawings open, both from similar templates.

On one drawing, I change the Sheet Scale and the annotations (text) on the paper space (not attached to any particular view) remain the same location. This is behavior I am used to and expect to see.

On the second drawing, I change the Sheet Scale and the annotations on paper space fly outward from the center of the page and I have to drag them all back in.

What is different with the second situation? I don't know what I changed.

Thanks
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: Annotations & Sheet Scale

Unread post by AlexLachance »

m2shell wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:25 pm I have 2 drawings open, both from similar templates.

On one drawing, I change the Sheet Scale and the annotations (text) on the paper space (not attached to any particular view) remain the same location. This is behavior I am used to and expect to see.

On the second drawing, I change the Sheet Scale and the annotations on paper space fly outward from the center of the page and I have to drag them all back in.

What is different with the second situation? I don't know what I changed.

Thanks
Could one drawing have it's annotations linked to a view and the other not? Selecting the annotation generally highlights the view it belongs to if it is linked to a view.
m2shell

Unread post by m2shell »

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:36 pm Could one drawing have it's annotations linked to a view and the other not? Selecting the annotation generally highlights the view it belongs to if it is linked to a view.
It does it on an empty drawing (no views yet)
Attached drawing file here....
Attachments
Draw2.SLDDRW
(81.33 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
m2shell

Unread post by m2shell »

I just removed a text block from the title block area (not in sheet format) and it seems to be behaving better.

No idea why but Blocks generally do screw things up in Drawings.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

I wish I could help, but I've created hundreds of drawings in the last 14 years and I've never seen notes move when changing the sheet scale until the one you just posted. However, I don't use blocks either, so that may be it.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Unread post by gupta9665 »

You must have selected "scale annotation's position/test height" while changing the scale. And also do not show again option.

So check if you have "Show sheet scale.." message under Tools > Options > System Options> Messages/Errors/Warnings > Dismissed Messages. If yes, then select this message and next time the sheet scale window will appear. You can select/deselect options as needed and it will act accordingly for next time use.

Check below image for more details.
Sheet Scale Options.PNG
Sheet Scale Options.PNG (9.21 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
AlexLachance

m2shell wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:56 pm I just removed a text block from the title block area (not in sheet format) and it seems to be behaving better.

No idea why but Blocks generally do screw things up in Drawings.
I can't open the drawing as I'm on 2019. Why do you put the text in a block..?
m2shell

Unread post by m2shell »

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:11 pm I can't open the drawing as I'm on 2019. Why do you put the text in a block..?
Cause I'm lazy? No - because its a block of text to show what finishes and materials are. I generally have many (many) drawings per job that will need to have the same descriptive text on many sheets, and sometimes the info will change (like if client changes finish spec). So I sometimes create and save a text block and insert the block (linked to file) into many drawings. It's definitely not foolproof but it helps me avoid discrepancies across several drawing sheets and files.... Probably a better way to do it though!
m2shell

Unread post by m2shell »

gupta9665 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:07 pm You must have selected "scale annotation's position/test height" while changing the scale. And also do not show again option.

So check if you have "Show sheet scale.." message under Tools > Options > System Options> Messages/Errors/Warnings > Dismissed Messages. If yes, then select this message and next time the sheet scale window will appear. You can select/deselect options as needed and it will act accordingly for next time use.

Check below image for more details.
Sheet Scale Options.PNG
Correct this was set, does that explain why it does it on one file and not the other? Anyway I unchecked the hidden warning for this and we'll see if it changes anything.
AlexLachance

m2shell wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:42 pm Cause I'm lazy? No - because its a block of text to show what finishes and materials are. I generally have many (many) drawings per job that will need to have the same descriptive text on many sheets, and sometimes the info will change (like if client changes finish spec). So I sometimes create and save a text block and insert the block (linked to file) into many drawings. It's definitely not foolproof but it helps me avoid discrepancies across several drawing sheets and files.... Probably a better way to do it though!
Oh no worries, I do it too for different situations, I just thought that you were creating a block with only text in it which I would have found quite odd. The clarification clears that up :P

This could also be something that plays a role in the issue, as usual sorry for the frenchness:
image.png
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

m2shell wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:42 pm Cause I'm lazy? No - because its a block of text to show what finishes and materials are. I generally have many (many) drawings per job that will need to have the same descriptive text on many sheets, and sometimes the info will change (like if client changes finish spec). So I sometimes create and save a text block and insert the block (linked to file) into many drawings. It's definitely not foolproof but it helps me avoid discrepancies across several drawing sheets and files.... Probably a better way to do it though!
I believe @gupta9665 found your issue (he's good at that), but regarding the blocks, I use note Styles instead of blocks or library notes. It works well for me. You can have different Styles saved in different templates, which can be helpful.

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
AlexLachance

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:54 pm I believe @gupta9665 found your issue (he's good at that), but regarding the blocks, I use note Styles instead of blocks or library notes. It works well for me. You can have different Styles saved in different templates, which can be helpful.

image.png
m2shell's refering to a block with visual information inside it such as this
image.png

Edit: Just for reference, a block inside a block will most likely cause the same issue if you have "Proportional dimension" checked
m2shell

Unread post by m2shell »

I honestly think that @gupta9665 got close to the issue, but in the real world I don't like to have too many dialogs popping up so Putting aside @gupta9665's solution , and stipulating that I have disabled the dialog warning after UNchecking the Scale Annotation position & Scale font size boxes.

Why is it that:

When I scale a newly created drawing without any blocks in it (consisting only of text or whatever) : "Normal" annotation text does not change size nor position.

BUT

After simply creating a text block in the same drawing, without changing any other settings, and then change the sheet scale, the "Normal" annotation text position changes (i.e. the text moves to new positions).

Can anyone else replicate this behavior?

(SW2022SP5)
mp3-250
Answers: 18

Unread post by mp3-250 »

iirc we had a similar issue when remaking the templates. the same block was inserted in 2 different templates, but with a different name and insertion point and was not handled correctly somehow thrown out the drawing sheet.
probably one was a temporary block edited inside the file while the other was the official one in the server block folder.