Consider redoing your subforum groupings.

Make suggestion to the moderators and admins of this site.
jmongi
Answers: 0

Consider redoing your subforum groupings.

Unread post by jmongi »

So, when I logged in today (placed on my secondary monitor, full screen 1920 x 1080), the main part of this forum requires scrolling to get to it. I'm going to check if its limited to my choice of style.
Designated Pot-Stirrer
zwei
Answers: 18

Re: Consider redoing your subforum groupings.

Unread post by zwei »

This is actually a great suggestion...
Personally i prefer to able to hide the most liked post (or at least have it at below)

I am not sure how well the caching is but u can collapse the subforum tab and it will stay collapsed the next time u visit
image.png
Edit:
I am not sure did i get affected by the SWMP.. but a little bit of scrolling is FINE to me now...
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
jmongi

Unread post by jmongi »

Ok, I checked a few different forum styles and they all suffer from the same issue. With mchat, welcome and board biz, I have to scroll to see the meat and potatoes of the site, the CAD forums.

So, a suggestion.

In the "Welcome" subforum grouping there should be the following subforums:
Welcome & Announcements
-This subforum can contain welcome threads with announcements in pinned threads at the top.
Forum Rules
-If you want a subforum just for this that's fine.

This change will allow you to move the "Board Business" subforum grouping lower. This is typically how I see forums where the board business is less important than the main forum content.

So a new user will then see the mchat frame, a 2 subforum "Welcome" grouping and then right into the main forum information.

That's my 2 cents. Whatever the case, I don't think its user friendly to need to scroll down to get to the main forum content.
Designated Pot-Stirrer
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

jmongi wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:48 am Ok, I checked a few different forum styles and they all suffer from the same issue. With mchat, welcome and board biz, I have to scroll to see the meat and potatoes of the site, the CAD forums.
I follow this forum from the "New posts" page (search.php?search_id=newposts). None of that stuff is there.

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
matt

Unread post by matt »

jmongi wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:39 am So, when I logged in today (placed on my secondary monitor, full screen 1920 x 1080), the main part of this forum requires scrolling to get to it. I'm going to check if its limited to my choice of style.
Try this: in the user control panel (I'm gonna have to start abbreviating that to UCP) you can turn off the mChat on the main Index page:
image.png

This gives you that real estate back. Then you can open the mChat in its own window when you want to use it. I think that works better, but I can't do that from here, you have to do that for yourself in the UCP.
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

I may be an old fool, but help me understand the wonderful benefits of mchat over the rest of this forum.
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

DennisD wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:46 pm I may be an old fool, but help me understand the wonderful benefits of mchat over the rest of this forum.
I personally see it as a "different approach" to the ''watercooler discussions", so I kind of like it, though it now popping links to threads inside of it, which I kind of like less :P
matt

Unread post by matt »

DennisD wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:46 pm I may be an old fool, but help me understand the wonderful benefits of mchat over the rest of this forum.
You know, some people like stuff just because, I think. There are several things on here I'd never use, but they're here because other people like different things. I think all the off-topic stuff is a waste of time, and I've said so other places. But I set it up here because other people like it for reasons I can't understand.

Same with mChat. The forum has direct messages, and I personally don't long for the days of AOL, but I know some people do. It's kind of a "scream into the empty ether" sort of thing. I don't think there's a benefit over the rest of it, it's just something different. We have to have stuff here that the other place doesn't have, right?
jmongi

Unread post by jmongi »

@matt - Thanks for the suggestion.

There have been a few good suggestions that I can use to customize the forum how I wish. That is awesome!

However, my main point wasn't about my personal customization of the forum, but more for new users and guests who would not have customized anything. We want them to see how to access the main forum content quickly and easily. That is all.

In the end, it's a minor thing. Just my personal opinion that no one cares about "Board Business" :o ;) :D
Designated Pot-Stirrer
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

matt wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:01 pm
You know, some people like stuff just because, I think. There are several things on here I'd never use, but they're here because other people like different things. I think all the off-topic stuff is a waste of time, and I've said so other places. But I set it up here because other people like it for reasons I can't understand.

Same with mChat. The forum has direct messages, and I personally don't long for the days of AOL, but I know some people do. It's kind of a "scream into the empty ether" sort of thing. I don't think there's a benefit over the rest of it, it's just something different. We have to have stuff here that the other place doesn't have, right?
Actually, no. Better will implicitly be different, but different is not necessarily better. Different for the sake of being different is a marketing mess. Case in point: https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... .com/#home
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
matt

Unread post by matt »

jmongi wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:48 am So, a suggestion.

In the "Welcome" subforum grouping there should be the following subforums:
Welcome & Announcements
-This subforum can contain welcome threads with announcements in pinned threads at the top.
Forum Rules
-If you want a subforum just for this that's fine.
Yeah, I was thinking about something like this, just gave me an excuse to do something.

@Zhen-Wei Tee I too wish I could move or get rid of the Most Liked Posts. After a while, nobody really cares. But I can't find a setting to do that. I'd have to do some heavy php diving or find a new "like" extension....

By the way, I've got a "Best Answer" extension, I just can't find the "on" switch!?!
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

AlexLachance wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:55 pm
I personally see it as a "different approach" to the ''watercooler discussions", so I kind of like it, though it now popping links to threads inside of it, which I kind of like less :P
image.png
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
jmongi

Unread post by jmongi »

So I guess that would mean its a user setting, so new user defaults could be off? Than someone could turn it on if they wish?
Designated Pot-Stirrer
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

dpihlaja wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:15 pm
image.png
Herp derp thanks kind sir! I had not looked up inside the UCP, ugh!
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

AlexLachance wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:55 pm
dpihlaja wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:15 pm

image.png
Herp derp thanks kind sir! I had not looked up inside the UCP, ugh!
No problem! Happens to the best of us. :)
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
matt

Unread post by matt »

jmongi wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:48 am Ok, I checked a few different forum styles and they all suffer from the same issue. With mchat, welcome and board biz, I have to scroll to see the meat and potatoes of the site, the CAD forums.
I'm getting a little foggy on what I've responded to and what I haven't. I'm finding new settings for things every day.

There is a setting for the user to put mChat at the bottom of the index page.

Admin can remove it from index altogether and leave it to be used in its own window. I can't force it to the bottom for everyone, all I can do is turn it on or off.

Which do you prefer? (UCP setting shown below)
image.png
Marshall Wilson

Unread post by Marshall Wilson »

Personally, I have my bookmark set to the "Active Topics" link. Works real good for me! :D :D :D
Roasted By John

Unread post by Roasted By John »

@matt

I like the settings just like you have it ;)
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

I thought it was so that we could have a taste of the 3DSWYM without needing to actually go there. Sort of like putting a seashell to your ear to hear the ocean. Except many people actually like going to the ocean.