I've started a SolidWorks API blog!

Programming and macros
CADInnovations
Answers: 0

I've started a SolidWorks API blog!

Unread post by CADInnovations »

Last week, I posted about a SolidWorks add-in that I've been working on, and mentioned plans to start a blog to document my journey with a focus on SolidWorks API related.

My first blog post is now live and i wanted to share: https://cadinnovations.ca/category/blog/

If you have been interested in creating SolidWorks add-ins or have other topics you'd like to see, head on over and check out my post, leave a comment, and share with your friends, thanks!
JSculley
Answers: 52

Re: I've started a SolidWorks API blog!

Unread post by JSculley »

In you blog article you might want to point people at the license for Visual Studio Community. You shouldn't say this:

"whether you are creating tools for yourself, for your employer, or for a larger audience"

without mentioning this:
================================
"If you are an enterprise, your employees and contractors may not use the software to develop or test your applications, except for: (i) open source; (ii) Visual Studio extensions; (iii) device drivers for the Windows operating system; (iv) SQL Server development; and, (v) education purposes as permitted above.

An “enterprise” is any organization and its affiliates who collectively have either (a) more than 250 PCs or users or (b) one million U.S. dollars (or the equivalent in other currencies) in annual revenues, and “affiliates” means those entities that control (via majority ownership), are controlled by, or are under common control with an organization.
=================================
CADInnovations

That's a good point, thank you for checking out my first post, and thanks for doing your homework! I was aware of limitations, but assumed the majority of those reading this blog won't be professional software developers working for a company of 250 people or with 1M revenue. I have re-worded the sentence to address a more limited, and realistic, use case
josh
Answers: 11

Unread post by josh »

I'm not a software developer, but I do a fair bit of programming in the course of my job. I only write code for use inside my department, but I don't see that exception. And my company would definitely qualify as an enterprise, so I suppose that puts me out of Visual Studio Community...
CADInnovations

Ah... I see where I went wrong: I thought these limits applied to development of software for sale, not the development of software for internal use also. I have added the necessary disclaimers to the post to avoid confusion. Thanks again for helping to clarify!