Individual components

Randy Damboodle
Answers: 0

Individual components

Unread post by Randy Damboodle »

Mine is purely operational. It's been a good 5 years or so since I last read a 2D Drawing or used SolidWorks and am struggling to decipher the components from one another.

So how many components are in this diagram please?
4f9df4e73296dc770033d46700caf45.jpg
Randy Damboodle

Re: Individual components

I see 2?
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

I think there are 7 parts + number of contacts. The bom is right above the title block in the lower right. I'm looking at this on my phone, so i may be missing something. Can't always tell parts from the drawing views unless there's an exploded view.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

The BOM shows 5 unique parts.
image.png
Jason
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

There are 11 different size.
Long and Short lock. Block. Spring pin. Contact.

How are you counting "components"?
Per assembly?
All configs? 22 configs.

Each connector has 2 locks, 2 pins, 1 Block, number of contacts in part number.

Got get another coffee.
Well take the whole pot.
JSculley
Answers: 53

Unread post by JSculley »

Randy Damboodle wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:12 am Mine is purely operational. It's been a good 5 years or so since I last read a 2D Drawing or used SolidWorks and am struggling to decipher the components from one another.

So how many components are in this diagram please?4f9df4e73296dc770033d46700caf45.jpg
The drawing is showing you a family of parts. You have 11 options for the number of contacts, 2 options for the tail type, 3 options for the tail length, 3 options for the mating point plating, 2 options for the tail plating, 4 options for the polarizing key (with sub-options based on number of contacts) and 3 options for the lock.

So you are looking at a minimum of 4752 (11 x 2 x 3 x 3 x 2 x 4 x 3) distinct part numbers represented in that drawing. That's why it is drawn this way, so someone didn't have to create thousands of drawings. Very common in the electrical components world.

You use the part number code to determine which views are relevant and which values for dimensions A, B, C, D, F, E and J to use.
Randy Damboodle

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:30 am There are 11 different size.
Long and Short lock. Block. Spring pin. Contact.

How are you counting "components"?
Per assembly?
All configs? 22 configs.

Each connector has 2 locks, 2 pins, 1 Block, number of contacts in part number.

Got get another coffee.
Well take the whole pot.
Thank you @Frederick_Law. Per assembly I believe is more applicable in this case. @JSculley seems to put in articulate wording what you're saying.

:D I'm rather along the lines of a hot chocolate. Coffee and me gal are sworn enemies.
Randy Damboodle

JSculley wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:54 am The drawing is showing you a family of parts. You have 11 options for the number of contacts, 2 options for the tail type, 3 options for the tail length, 3 options for the mating point plating, 2 options for the tail plating, 4 options for the polarizing key (with sub-options based on number of contacts) and 3 options for the lock.

So you are looking at a minimum of 4752 (11 x 2 x 3 x 3 x 2 x 4 x 3) distinct part numbers represented in that drawing. That's why it is drawn this way, so someone didn't have to create thousands of drawings. Very common in the electrical components world.

You use the part number code to determine which views are relevant and which values for dimensions A, B, C, D, F, E and J to use.
Wow. Thank you so much @JSculley. Your detailed explanation makes it make sense almost instantly. Cheers!