Smart Fastener

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
gafer
Answers: 0

Smart Fastener

Unread post by gafer »

Hi all,

I have a small stand that will be attached to some base, I'm trying to use smart fastener to finish this but the software is inserting the fastener top between the parts, like shown in the image. How can I control it and make the head of the fastener above it?

Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-07-11 162841.png
image.png
Uncle_Hairball
Answers: 2

Re: Smart Fastener

Unread post by Uncle_Hairball »

Given the lack of responses, I would guess that I'm not the only one who doesn't use Smart Fasteners. You may find that it is one of many features that have been added to the software that the users don't find to be helpful. I think most of us either use downloaded fastener models, usually from McMaster-Carr, or the Solidworks Toolbox, neither of which would give you this sort of problem. Or perhaps someone will now tell me how wrong I am.
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

I created my own library of fasteners by creating the size I want and the using a design table for the lengths. Never had good luck using toolbox fasteners / smart fasteners. Plus if you have any kind of inventory control and have to manage part numbers you almost have to make your own.
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

Responding to the OP, I suspect that you are dropping the fastener onto the holes of the larger base part rather than the holes on the smaller part.
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
len_1962
Answers: 0

Unread post by len_1962 »

that is because you made the lower parts hole a counterbore holewizard hole, change it to a tapped hole,
or delete the holes in both parts and then in the assembly do a hole series and that will put hole in both part files and should allow" FART SMASTENERS" to work...... old SW AE saying for smart fasteners