2023 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP of 3D CAD SPEEDMODELING

Solid Edge, Synchronous Technology, Convergent Technology, and Siemens!
KennyG
Answers: 7

2023 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP of 3D CAD SPEEDMODELING

Unread post by KennyG »

Any Solid Edge users interested in representing in Tool Tall Toby's "2023 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP of 3D CAD SPEEDMODELING"?

https://tootalltoby.com/Leaderboard/
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Re: 2023 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP of 3D CAD SPEEDMODELING

Unread post by jcapriotti »

KennyG wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:10 pm Any Solid Edge users interested in representing in Tool Tall Toby's "2023 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP of 3D CAD SPEEDMODELING"?

https://tootalltoby.com/Leaderboard/
I could for the "slow modeling" event if he ever has that. Me Solid Edge skillz are lacking :lol:
Jason
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

I'd be interested in the "robust" modeling competition where the focus is on data maintenance and integrity. I've seen (and dealt with) enough speed models for one lifetime.

Edit: Nothing against TTT. I enjoy his videos and commentary. I'll tune into his broadcasts and videos when time permits. The content, IMO, is usually sound advice for wide range of applications. It's just the focus of speed modeling that we hear all over (model mania included) that gets a little old. That's just me though.
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

bnemec wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:36 am I'd be interested in the "robust" modeling competition where the focus is on data maintenance and integrity. I've seen (and dealt with) enough speed models for one lifetime.

Edit: Nothing against TTT. I enjoy his videos and commentary. I'll tune into his broadcasts and videos when time permits. The content, IMO, is usually sound advice for wide range of applications. It's just the focus of speed modeling that we hear all over (model mania included) that gets a little old. That's just me though.
Well, Ben, you are not alone. I also like the tips that reduce the effort, however, the software waits on me much more than I wait on it. Now, if I had a stack of 2D prints that I was converting to parametric models then I'd be clamoring for every little speed tidbit, but I'm a designer and solving new problems. The real work is going on between my ears.

Speed tips are great, but making good models and naming features and key dimensions so my models are easier for me and for someone else to use are worth every second it takes.
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
KennyG
Answers: 7

Unread post by KennyG »

Looks like the monthly ones are done and they are now in a bracket competition through the end of the year, so the registration was closed in June...
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

bnemec wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:36 am I'd be interested in the "robust" modeling competition where the focus is on data maintenance and integrity. I've seen (and dealt with) enough speed models for one lifetime.

Maybe something more similar to the SolidWorks cert tests where you have to model the part, then make changes to it. Speed modeling generally doesn't lend itself to editing easily/faster later. Would be interesting to see synctech vs history in this case as well.
Jason
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

jcapriotti wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:46 pm Maybe something more similar to the SolidWorks cert tests where you have to model the part, then make changes to it. Speed modeling generally doesn't lend itself to editing easily/faster later. Would be interesting to see synctech vs history in this case as well.
Yes. I would try to take it a step farther and involve updating the where used as well. I understand that becomes very difficult to set up a good test data set. But one of the biggest turn offs for me is the flippant nature of destroying geometry IDs in the model. Many "best practices" give little to no attention to qualifying a method based on how it keeps or destroys geometry IDs, which many know may likely affect the where used all the way up the tree along with dims and annotations in all the drawings. The updates in all of those documents can increase by order of magnitudes over the time saved in editing one model. I get it that it doesn't make a good competition, it's not as exciting as speed modeling a part, it's a lot more like work. I've learned more about modeling by making revisions to ~20 other peoples models with creation dates spanning the past 20+ years.

Now I've gone and hi-jacked this well intended thread. It would be nice to see Solid Edge represented in the speed modeling competition. It is relevant in many places that keep models in a project folder for one and done type products.
ROKCRLER
Answers: 0

Unread post by ROKCRLER »

Sorry this is my first post UU

I was hoping to see SE represented. Watching the tournament has my eyes bouncing left to right watching the different techniques because I'm a total CAD noob but have been learning SE via YT. Watching them I kept saying 'That can be done in SE by ____ ...' based on videos I've watched.
It would be awesome to see two parts be made by two SE users to see the various techniques.