SOLIDWORKS PDM Export File (.cex) Parser?

Installation, PDM, standards, training, support, part numbering, rev schemes, etc.
cdantonio
Answers: 0

SOLIDWORKS PDM Export File (.cex) Parser?

Unread post by cdantonio »

Is it possible to create a .cex file parser? I have supply chain people who use mac (without SolidWorks or PDM) who like seeing plain text exports of card variable lists from the admin tool. I used to just copy and paste the list contents every time someone asked to see data, but I was wondering if there was a way to convert .cex to a flattened .txt so I can just send a file. I know that lots of SolidWorks file formats are proprietary, so I'm not sure if I should even attempt this.
by jcapriotti » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:11 pm
Opened in a text editor but the file format is not readable. You could write a SQL query though.

Code: Select all

SELECT CL.Name as [Card List Name]
	  ,CLV.Value as [Card List Value]
  FROM CardLists CL
  JOIN CardListValues CLV on CLV.CardListId=CL.Id
  WHERE CL.Name like 'Document Types' -- Put your card list name here, or comment out to get all
  ORDER BY [Card List Name], [Card List Value]
You can also dump that into a CRP report file in PDM and let them run it as needed.
Go to full post
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Re: SOLIDWORKS PDM Export File (.cex) Parser?

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Opened in a text editor but the file format is not readable. You could write a SQL query though.

Code: Select all

SELECT CL.Name as [Card List Name]
	  ,CLV.Value as [Card List Value]
  FROM CardLists CL
  JOIN CardListValues CLV on CLV.CardListId=CL.Id
  WHERE CL.Name like 'Document Types' -- Put your card list name here, or comment out to get all
  ORDER BY [Card List Name], [Card List Value]
You can also dump that into a CRP report file in PDM and let them run it as needed.
Jason
cdantonio
Answers: 0

Re: SOLIDWORKS PDM Export File (.cex) Parser?

Unread post by cdantonio »

Ah ok didn't think of that. Thank you that worked for me!