Delete "Find Intersection" lines

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Delete "Find Intersection" lines

Unread post by SPerman »

I have a drawing I am re-using for a family of similar parts. There is a section view, and in that section view I do "find intersection" to create a linear dimension. When I do a "Save As" on this drawing for the next part, those lines remain, and I cannot figure out how to delete them. Does anyone have any tips? 2022SP5.
image.png
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
JSculley
Answers: 53

Re: Delete "Find Intersection" lines

Unread post by JSculley »

I'm not at my machine, but I think that you can select them at the intersection point.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Pick the version that you want to see instead:
image.png
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

They need to go away. They reference geometry that no longer exist.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

SPerman wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:12 am They need to go away. They reference geometry that no longer exist.
Sorry man. Did you try CTRL Q? Not sure how to delete them.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
JSculley

SPerman wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:12 am They need to go away. They reference geometry that no longer exist.
From the KnowledgeBase

QUESTION: After I delete the dimensions, why do I still see the virtual extensions of sketches and edges that were created with a virtual sharp?

ANSWER: The 'Find Intersection' command creates an intersection point for a virtual sharp. The two new lines created with a virtual sharp are the extensions of the two sketch entities or edges selected for the virtual sharp. The 'Find Intersection' command creates these virtual extensions without adding dimension. The software treats virtual extensions and dimensions as separate entities.
Please refer to online help for more information: https://help.solidworks.com/2021/englis ... ension.htm

Deleting the dimension alone does not delete these virtual extensions.

You can delete the virtual extensions only by deleting the intersection point in the same way that you delete any entities. That is, right-click the point > ‘Delete’.

You can hide the virtual extensions by assigning the intersection point (virtual sharp) to a hidden layer.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I tried every way I know how to select them. Maybe it was just one of those times where the graphics gets glitchy and it won't pick something even though it is right there on the screen.
-
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

SPerman wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:32 pm I tried every way I know how to select them. Maybe it was just one of those times where the graphics gets glitchy and it won't pick something even though it is right there on the screen.
I suspect that's the case. I can click on them and delete just like you'd expect.

When I have weird graphics issues in a Drawing I can usually fix it by copying and pasting the view or sheet, then deleting the original, but of course since this is a section view you will need to copy the whole sheet. After deleting the original you can re-name the new one back to the same name as the original one.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Can you pick them using a window, as opposed to clicking on the point?
-
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

SPerman wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:09 am Can you pick them using a window, as opposed to clicking on the point?
Yes.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Unread post by gupta9665 »

May be time to build a macro to find and remove those dangling points.
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

@SPerman Try selecting "Filter Sketch Points" on the Selection Filter toolbar and see if will let you select them. Also try activating the view (double click inside the view in empty space) beforehand.
Jason
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

gupta9665 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:35 am May be time to build a macro to find and remove those dangling points.
I have collected a few macros over the years that are supposed to delete dangling objects in a drawing. Running those didn't delete the lines.
-
JSculley

SPerman wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:58 pm I have collected a few macros over the years that are supposed to delete dangling objects in a drawing. Running those didn't delete the lines.
Upload a part and drawing file if you can.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I am writing this off to solidworks weirdness. I went to create a drawing to upload. I wanted to test it before presenting it to the world. I tried to select the points using a window, and they weren't selected. I tried using the window again, with the sketch points filter on, and again no luck. If I zoomed way in, and moved my mouse around slowly, there was a tiny spot that would allow me to pick the intersection point. Perfect, I thought. Let's undo that and record a GIF. Of course, now it behaves perfectly. I can select using the window and it finds them just fine. <()> o[
-