Can you read the SolidWorks PDM State in a BOM inside your assembly

Discuss SolidWorks PDM
CarrieIves
Answers: 2

Can you read the SolidWorks PDM State in a BOM inside your assembly

Unread post by CarrieIves »

We are using SolidWorks PDM STANDARD and SolidWorks 2022.

We have quite a few people who can write python scripts at my work. This allows us to export a CSV file of a BOM and transform it easily into an Excel BOM. The problem is telling what has changed since you exported it.

We have a lovely script that will take an exported PDM BOM and convert it to the format we want. Unfortunately, PDM doesn't keep the BOM in the same order version to version. It also puts it in an order based on some ID in the database, not something logically like assembly order or file name.

One thing we are doing, is taking note of the version that was exported. This allows us to run a BOM compare in PDM between the latest version of our assembly and the one we exported. This is somewhat better than just printing both out and comparing things to see what changed. If I am able to use the BOM from inside the SolidWorks assembly, then at least my order will stay somewhat consistent.

I thought that I could easily fix this problem by exporting the BOM from our SolidWorks assembly. I have not figured out how to show the PDM workflow state in the BOM in the assembly. Can this be done? I don't see it in the custom properties. If we don't have that column (not certain it is required), then the script will have to be modified. This may be a minor change.

Thanks,
Carrie
by jcapriotti » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:39 am
CarrieIves wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:09 pm I thought that I could easily fix this problem by exporting the BOM from our SolidWorks assembly. I have not figured out how to show the PDM workflow state in the BOM in the assembly. Can this be done? I don't see it in the custom properties. If we don't have that column (not certain it is required), then the script will have to be modified. This may be a minor change.
Your PDM workflow would have to be setup to pass the destination "state" to a custom property.

https://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2014/ ... e-drawing/
Go to full post
zwei
Answers: 18

Re: Can you read the SolidWorks PDM State in a BOM inside your assembly

Unread post by zwei »

I believe this can be done?

When we were given the demo on SOLIDWORKS PDM/Manage,
It was mentioned that the pdm property can be assigned to the custom property and vice versa
Cant you map the pdm datacard to a custom property and showed the custom property?
image.png
Otherwise i guess you could use Last Saved Date as a workaround?
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

CarrieIves wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:09 pm I thought that I could easily fix this problem by exporting the BOM from our SolidWorks assembly. I have not figured out how to show the PDM workflow state in the BOM in the assembly. Can this be done? I don't see it in the custom properties. If we don't have that column (not certain it is required), then the script will have to be modified. This may be a minor change.
Your PDM workflow would have to be setup to pass the destination "state" to a custom property.

https://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2014/ ... e-drawing/
Jason
CarrieIves
Answers: 2

Unread post by CarrieIves »

Thanks. I don't think we want to add the custom property (We have quite a few released parts at this time.), so I guess I will find out about modifying the script and not worrying about that property.