BOM behavior

Uncle_Hairball
Answers: 2

BOM behavior

Unread post by Uncle_Hairball »

I just tried a bill of materials in 2023 for the first time. I'm seeing weird behavior. Please help me understand what is going on. Note that the images below are shown in reverse order. The first one is at the bottom and the last one is at the top.

If I create a bill with the BOM type set to top level only, I see the following. Note that Items 17-21 each contain one of the same 16mm Nordlock washer and total 208 pieces, which seems right:

If I change the BOM type to parts only, the table changes (obviously), but the quantity of 16mm Nordlocks is only 20.

If I change the BOM type to indented, the quantity of the subassemblies containing the Nordlocks totals 20. It seems that the BOM is incorrectly counting the number of subassemblies.

Does this make any sense? Am I misunderstanding what the settings do?
Attachments
image.png
image.png
image.png
zwei
Answers: 18

Re: BOM behavior

Unread post by zwei »

Hmm something does not seems right
I dont have 2023 at the moment
but are the parts different config?
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Unread post by gupta9665 »

Would you mind sharing the files as it may help to under the issue and provide a better explanation/solution.
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
Frank_Oostendorp

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

@Uncle_Hairball This is weird. My BOM's in SW2023 SP2.1 are correct, until now. Did you find some cause of this?
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

1. Does the assembly have configurations?
  2. If so, are parts suppressed in some configurations?
  3. Do the parts / sub-assys have configurations?
  4. Can you show the BOM property manager options selected for each BOM type?
  5. Which service pack of 2023 are you on?
  6. Did you hold your nose and hop on one foot when you created the BOM? :twisted:
Jason
Uncle_Hairball

Jason's got it with #1. The assembly does have configurations and the BOM is switching configurations when I select the BOM type.
It's not a bug, it's a feature.
Uncle_Hairball

Here's how the BOM Type/Configuration relationship seems to behave:
1. Top-level Only defaults to all configurations selected, whatever that means. Having multiple configurations selected, but only one displayed makes no sense to me. Which one is displayed? Is it a combination of all configurations? SW doesn't tell us. My guess is that it's showing the default configuration only.
2. Parts Only and Indented default to the Default configuration, regardless of what is shown in the drawing view.
3. Parts Only and Indented are linked. If you change one, it changes the other, too.
4. If you change from Top-level to either Parts Only or Indented, or vice versa, the BOM Type configuration reverts to its default.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Uncle_Hairball wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:48 pm Here's how the BOM Type/Configuration relationship seems to behave:
1. Top-level Only defaults to all configurations selected, whatever that means. Having multiple configurations selected, but only one displayed makes no sense to me. Which one is displayed? Is it a combination of all configurations? SW doesn't tell
Top level is what we use primarily. It may default to the first configuration but you have the option to show multiple configurations (checkboxes), whereas Indented and Parts only makes you pick one configuration (drop list). We call this Top Level a family BOM where you can easily see the BOM for all configurations in the assembly.
Jason