Name assembly constraint on insert

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
Bryan O
Answers: 1

Name assembly constraint on insert

Unread post by Bryan O »

Is there any way to have Solidworks automatically enter the name field when inserting an assembly constraint? Something similar to the "Enable on screen numeric input on entity creation" switch in system options for dimensioning?
I create a lot of LH/RH assembly constraints and it would be very helpful if I were automatically be in that field on creation.

Something like this would also be helpful for modeling, automatically be in the naming field when creating a feature!
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Re: Name assembly constraint on insert

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Bryan O wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:54 am Is there any way to have Solidworks automatically enter the name field when inserting an assembly constraint? Something similar to the "Enable on screen numeric input on entity creation" switch in system options for dimensioning?
I create a lot of LH/RH assembly constraints and it would be very helpful if I were automatically be in that field on creation.

Something like this would also be helpful for modeling, automatically be in the naming field when creating a feature!
I don't think so.

There is a "name feature on creation" checkbox in the feature manager area of the options, but that does not work on assembly mates.

However, to make things faster for you, you can change the visibility of the tree to
View Mates and Dependencies"
image.png
Then, when you expand a component, the mates are shown instead of being inside a folder.
image.png
Then, select the mate you want to rename and hit F2 to rename it (instead of slow double click, which I have disabled, because I hate it)
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
Bryan O
Answers: 1

Unread post by Bryan O »

Thanks for the quick reply.
I currently use both of those for the same reason: forcing people to name there features in parts and (for assembly) to see mates that apply to the individual part. I really like the View mates command and it's visual isolation of related parts.
josh
Answers: 11

Unread post by josh »

Here is a macro that will ask you for a name upon completion of the Mate command. SolidWorks only raises the notification at the completion of the command (when you hit the final checkmark and exit the Mate command). So if you add a whole bunch of mates at a time you'll have to remember what to name them afterward...

You should only have to run the macro once per session of SW.
Attachments
NameMatesOnCreation.swp
(96 KiB) Downloaded 27 times