Hole wizard countersinks

MattW
Answers: 2

Hole wizard countersinks

Unread post by MattW »

Not countersunk screws, the edge break on the holes:
image.png
The values come from someplace, and are linked to the hole size, usually, but I can't figure out where. My experiments with 'favorites' aren't quite getting the behavior I would like.
Dwight

Re: Hole wizard countersinks

Unread post by Dwight »

I have not found a way to set the size of chamfers in the hole wizard features, but I find favorites to work fine. What's the issue there?

Dwight
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Dwight wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:12 am I have not found a way to set the size of chamfers in the hole wizard features, but I find favorites to work fine. What's the issue there?

Dwight
For me, it's just one more click that would be unnecessary if the default settings were user defined.

In some ways SW is its own worst enemy. They've made the UI so customizable that when you come across something that can't be changed it's frustrating.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
JSculley
Answers: 54

Unread post by JSculley »

SPR 803012 -- Provide columns in Toolbox Settings to define the default values for Near, Under Head, and Far Side Countersink and Head Clearance for Countersink and Counterbore holes
MattW

Unread post by MattW »

@JSculley your link didn't work, saying there is no SPR80312, but it did lead me to this:

https://support.3ds.com/knowledge-base/ ... :SPR803012

QUESTION
For Hole Wizard hole types, how are near side and far side countersink values calculated; is it possible to customize them?
ANSWER
By default, SOLIDWORKS® calculates these countersink values as drill dize + 0.06 inch or + 0.05 mm. These default values are hard coded and can not be altered. One way to have user defined far side countersink values (for example 'Far Side Countersink Diameter') for a specific hole is to save as a favorite.

So there you have it.

@Dwight I haven't fully chased the behavior down, but it appears that, for instance, I want an M6 counterbore, and M6 counterbore is already selected, selecting the M6 favorite does not apply the favorite values. If I select some other size, and then the desired favorite, it appears to work.

@JSculley I see now that knowledge base article is what you were trying to direct me to, but the same url shows different pages for some reason.
image.png
image.png
Thanks guys.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

His link works for me, but you aren't missing much.

Someone made a request at some undetermined time, and since then SW has ignored it.
image.png
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams