Move/Copy Bodies Changing Drawing Dimensions

jfahren
Answers: 0

Move/Copy Bodies Changing Drawing Dimensions

Unread post by jfahren »

I have been using the Move/Copy Bodies command to reorient parts so that they are consistent, but when I go to make drawings, I’ve encountered a problem. When I suppress the Move/Copy, the dimensions are correct. When Move/Copy Body is applied, the body moves, but the dimensions remain where they would be without it. So I have right view dimensions showing up in the front view, etc.

Is there is a way to have the dimensions follow the Move/Copy Bodies?
matt
Answers: 18

Re: Move/Copy Bodies Changing Drawing Dimensions

Unread post by matt »

There really is no way to avoid making the first feature in the right place. Just move the first sketch, and see how good your design intent holds together :D
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

@matt makes a good point. It's rarely a good idea to use one feature to modify another one (though I'm sure there are exceptions). If we misunderstood, and that's not what you're doing, please elaborate.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Let me make sure I understand, you have a model that was either modeled in bad orientation or imported from a CAD system with Z-up. You made a drawing with all the dimensions. Then realized the model orientation is not ideal and you fix it by simply rotating the body. While move body is a solid modeling method for some tasks it will certainly break the drawing annotations. The dimensions didn't just fail to move, I'm pretty sure they became detached so wouldn't even update if the size of the part changed. I don't know of any way you can change the orientation of the model and the annotations in the drawing views will magically update correctly.
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

IIRC there was a discussion on move /copy bodies that actually create a hidden feature in the modelling tree and all sort of collateral effects down the road. According to my experience it works with a simple static body copy (no rotation no move).
If possibile, the best would be modify the model orientation editing the feature or in case of a dummy import from a STEP et sim. is to insert a coordinate system oriented the way you want your part and export as parasolid selecting that CSYS from the drop down menu at the bottom of the parasolid saveas option.

SAVE AS -> select parasolid file extension -> option button -> at the bottom of the page select the CSYS name you created in the part from the drop down menu instead of the default CSYS

in this way when you re import the body it will be orientend the way you want making its CSYS aligned with the one in your template.
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

Short answer -- No

Long answer -- No but there is workaround...Creating different configuration, eg: DwgConfig and ReorientConfig, and have move body suppressed in DwgConfig and use it in the drawing... Like other mentioned, getting the CSYS right first is a better way.... but this is kind of a last minute patch work :)
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
Tim Hoover
Answers: 0

Unread post by Tim Hoover »

Another option would be to update the standard views...

As drawn view,
Screenshot 1.jpg
In this example, I selected normal to Front, then "more options" in view orientation,
Screenshot 2.jpg
Select "Update Standard Views", then select "Right" for new orientation,
Screenshot 3.jpg
New Drawing View,
Screenshot 4.jpg