Blend curves?

Solid Edge, Synchronous Technology, Convergent Technology, and Siemens!
geekmidget
Answers: 0

Blend curves?

Unread post by geekmidget »

Hi, I am new to Solid Edge, and I haven't been able to find a couple of things I like from other software.

Is there anything in SE like the Blend curve from Altair's Inspire Studio?

Is there an option to specify a fillet's Shape like what you can find on Moi3D?
matt
Answers: 18

Re: Blend curves?

Unread post by matt »

Solid Edge has Tangent Continuous (which is essentially constant radius, I think) and Curvature Continuous (which is more of a spline profile than a single radius arc).
image.png
image.png (11.83 KiB) Viewed 1033 times
geekmidget

Nice, that answers my second doubt, thanks. But I am still unsure regarding my first doubt.

For example, see attached image, I would like to connect selected line to the other, bridging the gap with a smooth curve which automatically aligns tangentially to the end of first line and to the beginning of second line, do I have to do it manually or is there a tool in SE to make this easier?
Attachments
how_to_blend_gap.png
matt

Unread post by matt »

geekmidget wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:14 am Nice, that answers my second doubt, thanks. But I am still unsure regarding my first doubt.

For example, see attached image, I would like to connect selected line to the other, bridging the gap with a smooth curve which automatically aligns tangentially to the end of first line and to the beginning of second line, do I have to do it manually or is there a tool in SE to make this easier?
Yeah, thats a spline. Sketch element.
geekmidget

matt wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:08 amYeah, thats a spline. Sketch element.
No, making a smooth curve using a spline is what I was refering to by "do it manually", this usually requires at least 3 or 4 points and is a more visual than precise approach.

In Altair's Inspire Studio there is a curve tool called Blend where you just need to hover over reference objects and place starting and ending points to produce a smooth connecting curve (which you can change between cubic and quintic), and you then have the possibility of specifying the tension of the curve, choosing for each of the points if you want tangential or curvature continuity and the magnitude of the tangent at the point, and other advanced parameters. It's a very powerful and useful tool, but I haven't been able to find anything similar in SE. See attachment.
Attachments
blend_curve.png
matt

Unread post by matt »

geekmidget wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:42 am No, making a smooth curve using a spline is what I was refering to by "do it manually", this usually requires at least 3 or 4 points and is a more visual than precise approach.

In Altair's Inspire Studio there is a curve tool called Blend where you just need to hover over reference objects and place starting and ending points to produce a smooth connecting curve (which you can change between cubic and quintic), and you then have the possibility of specifying the tension of the curve, choosing for each of the points if you want tangential or curvature continuity and the magnitude of the tangent at the point, and other advanced parameters. It's a very powerful and useful tool, but I haven't been able to find anything similar in SE. See attachment.
In Solid Edge it's called a Curve, but it's really a spline. You can add tangent relations to its ends, and can control it to some extent with a frame. You can change its degree and use the frame to control continuity to some extent. It is missing some fine details for control, but this is what is in Solid Edge.
image.png
image.png (11.93 KiB) Viewed 945 times
geekmidget

matt wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:28 pmIn Solid Edge it's called a Curve, but it's really a spline. You can add tangent relations to its ends, and can control it to some extent with a frame. You can change its degree and use the frame to control continuity to some extent. It is missing some fine details for control, but this is what is in Solid Edge.
OK, fair enough. Thanks for your reply.
Ryan-3DS

Unread post by Ryan-3DS »

matt wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:28 pm In Solid Edge it's called a Curve, but it's really a spline. You can add tangent relations to its ends, and can control it to some extent with a frame. You can change its degree and use the frame to control continuity to some extent. It is missing some fine details for control, but this is what is in Solid Edge.

image.png
Bridge curve in NX. If you are in Solid Edge you can try and use the command finder function! You type in the command from your other system and SE will attempt to map to their equivalent command.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Bridge curves were a wonderful thing.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams