Setting for All Groups?

Discuss SolidWorks PDM
PCObelcz
Answers: 0

Setting for All Groups?

Unread post by PCObelcz »

The settings under Groups\All Users, does that apply to all the groups? Or could they be different for each Group?
Simple question hopefully a simple answer. I'm new to administrating PDM but have been using it since 2016. I am waiting to get training "patience my young Padawan".
Attachments
Setting_for_All_Groups_Question.JPG
bnemec
Answers: 10

Re: Setting for All Groups?

Unread post by bnemec »

PCObelcz wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:47 pm The settings under Groups\All Users, does that apply to all the groups? Or could they be different for each Group?
Simple question hopefully a simple answer. I'm new to administrating PDM but have been using it since 2016. I am waiting to get training "patience my young Padawan".
edit: TL,DR: yes, it will apply those settings exactly to all users currently in that group.

It might help you to draw a line between permissions and settings your mind. They are applied differently, settings are saved to the user (regardless of if they are set from a group setting dialog) and permissions are determined live based on the permissions stored in several places (user, group, state, folder etc.)

When you use a group settings dialog it will apply those settings to all users in the group. So be careful when users are in more than one group as which ever group setting you applied last is what they get.
For example, if you have users in a group that have different context menu settings then the Group settings dialog will be blank. Don't be like me and think you can simply add a single command to that right click menu here. If I were to add one command to that menu from here and click apply, that will update the menu for all users in the group to only have that one command.
image.png
PCObelcz
Answers: 0

Unread post by PCObelcz »

bnemec wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:50 pm edit: TL,DR: yes, it will apply those settings exactly to all users currently in that group.

If I were to add one command to that menu from here and click apply, that will update the menu for all users in the group to only have that one command.

image.png
That would get a rise out of some of our users. ;;
Thanks
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

PCObelcz wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:59 pm That would get a rise out of some of our users. ;;
Thanks
Yes, it did. <()>