Unable to use some functions

Here we have answers to common questions about SolidWorks. If you want to request or contribute answers, just flag down a moderator.
zgom59
Answers: 0

Unable to use some functions

Unread post by zgom59 »

Hello, sometimes I have an issue after solidworks opening : Some functions aren't available, I mean I can't click on them and I don't know why. Sometimes I can solve it by just restarting solidworks but on the function below I'm currently fully blocked...
I added a picture with the example of "Fractionner" function, sorry for the french :)

Any ideas ?

Attachments
Capture d’écran 2023-09-15 101208.png
matt
Answers: 18

Re: Unable to use some functions

Unread post by matt »

"Fractionner" looks like the Split feature. Maybe you don't have the requirements for that feature. Looks like you have the surfacing toolbar up. Do you have a solid body in your model? If not, that function won't be available.
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

zgom59 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:01 pm Hello, sometimes I have an issue after solidworks opening : Some functions aren't available, I mean I can't click on them and I don't know why. Sometimes I can solve it by just restarting solidworks but on the function below I'm currently fully blocked...
I added a picture with the example of "Fractionner" function, sorry for the french :)

Any ideas ?

Quit using French...Problem solved...
Just so you know, you are not alone. Even some seasoned users like @AlexLachance also suffer from this affliction...

Kidding aside @matt appears to be right. SW is "smart"; it won't allow you to choose tools if they aren't in the right context. For example, if you are operating at the assembly level, the part only tools won't be "accessible" and will be "grayed out".
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

zgom59 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:01 pm Hello, sometimes I have an issue after solidworks opening : Some functions aren't available, I mean I can't click on them and I don't know why. Sometimes I can solve it by just restarting solidworks but on the function below I'm currently fully blocked...

Any ideas ?

Could you show the entire feature tree? I can see you're in a part but that's about it.

From what I can deduct, your part is made of surfaces only and that feature works on body. If you want to split surfaces, you'll need to use Split lines.

Lucky you, I can provide french screenshots! :lol:
image.png
zgom59
Answers: 0

Unread post by zgom59 »

Hello,

Here is the entire tree. I was assuming that I need bodies to use this function, but it's always the case in the part I am working on. I don't know why but today I opened the same part as usual and it's working again... o[
Attachments
image_2023-09-20_090939450.png
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

Maybe you had it rolled back to a point where there were no solid bodies.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

zgom59 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:10 am Hello,

Here is the entire tree. I was assuming that I need bodies to use this function, but it's always the case in the part I am working on. I don't know why but today I opened the same part as usual and it's working again... o[
If you fall upon it again, post a screenshot of your SolidWorks session and we can have another jab at it, it's probably a really subtle thing.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Some functions are also inaccessible if you're in an active sketch. I don't know that that's the issue here, but it does often happen to new users.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"