Rapid Furniture Models

coby_rumblewood
Answers: 0

Rapid Furniture Models

Unread post by coby_rumblewood »

Hello phpBB community,

I am a 1 man show making furniture in Fusion360 currently. I want to make 5-10 different styles of each base design (mid mod, minimalist, etc...). I am finding it a nightmare and time sink to do this. Are there fast ways on a cheap budget to do this? Tips and tricks?

Best,
Coby
zxys001
Answers: 4

Re: Rapid Furniture Models

Unread post by zxys001 »

Hello Coby,.. there is a specific forum here for 360 users which is nice.
viewforum.php?f=8
and.. most of the help you'll find will be in videos (suggest searching fusion360, furniture design, configurations..)
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... igurations
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
coby_rumblewood
Answers: 0

Unread post by coby_rumblewood »

I am ME by training and understand CAD well. Previously worked in robotics so am used to complicated designs too. What is unique about my projects and furniture is all the different visual styles. These videos in that search are all the basics I mostly know and don't get to the question about how to quickly crank out 5-10 visual styles of a baseline design. Not necessarily a Fusion question, just in general is there ways in CAD to do this quickly? Fusion recently released Configurations but I am on community version. I would accept the answer this is why companies have teams of drafters :)
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Can you be a little more specific in what changes from design to design? I'm not very familiar with F360, but if they have configurations similar to SW, doing things like changing dimensions, or turning features on/off should be easy. Major changes to structure or shape would be more challenging.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

mattpeneguy

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

There used to be a guy on here by the name of John Stoltzfus. He modeled furniture. He fine tuned a method he called Skeleton Sketch Part, or SSP. I went my own direction with it to an extent. But there are a few others on here that use something similar.
The idea is that you can make fundamental changes to the assembly and it is handled gracefully. It's pretty CAD agnostic as far as I can tell, even though I've only ever used the method with SW.
Here's a great demonstration by this Dutch guy of how to do it:
https://www.linkedin.com/learning/model ... solidworks
You have to sign up for linked in training, but it's free for 30 days...There are some pretty crappy examples out there. That's why I recommend people see the demonstration above.
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

coby_rumblewood wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:19 pm I am ME by training and understand CAD well. Previously worked in robotics so am used to complicated designs too. What is unique about my projects and furniture is all the different visual styles. These videos in that search are all the basics I mostly know and don't get to the question about how to quickly crank out 5-10 visual styles of a baseline design. Not necessarily a Fusion question, just in general is there ways in CAD to do this quickly? Fusion recently released Configurations but I am on community version. I would accept the answer this is why companies have teams of drafters :)
oh, yeah, sure, with a snap of our fingers, it's super easy,... hold on... let me find a drafter person for you? **
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

coby_rumblewood wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:19 pm just in general is there ways in CAD to do this quickly?
Yes.
A conveyor metal detector that took over 8 hour to design new size got down to 15 minutes.
Took 6 months to setup the model with Master Skeleton/Sketch in Inventor.

Working on cabinet now. 75 different size. Plus 45 new size.
All with option components.
Over 6 months and ongoing. Model States in Inventor. Similar to Config in SW.