Introducing Solid Edge 2024

Solid Edge, Synchronous Technology, Convergent Technology, and Siemens!
KennyG
Answers: 7

Introducing Solid Edge 2024

Unread post by KennyG »

Online Event

October 11, 2023 | 10:00 EDT / 14:00 GMT

Be among the first to see what's new in Solid Edge 2024.

https://resources.sw.siemens.com/en-US/ ... 0007262102
Ryan-3DS
Answers: 0

Re: Introducing Solid Edge 2024

Unread post by Ryan-3DS »

Seems like a lot of good enhancements.
Here's my take.
  • Tighter integration on Solid Edge and NX. Kinda expected this as Siemens is selling the combined SE and NX bundle. But still makes me wonder where the two products are going. It did take a while to get Ideas and NX merged together. SE merged to NX should be easier as they are based on the same modeling kernel and other tools.
  • Teamcenter Share is now the official name for Share. This one I am actually surprised at. Teamcenter brand name, as a technology, is not the preferred name going forward. I would have expected this to be Xcelrator Share.
  • More capabilities that are only available in SaaS licensing options. Sure you can buy perpetual but the "+" (to borrow from PTC marketing) capabilities are only available using SaaS.
A pet peeve of mine is the use of "AI"..most "solutions" are using machine learning ML..it is a subset of AI. This might stem from a passion of spirits. You don't call all whisky or whiskey bourbon. But all bourbon is whiskey (not whisky- that is outside of Scotland, Japan, Canada). Let's call this technology by its right term and stop trying to use "trendy terms". It's challenging enough with just industry terms. Why confuse the customer more?
Imics13

Unread post by Imics13 »

Hi @Ryan-3DS,

1. The configuration is RuleDesigner based it is not linked to NX and so on...
2. Siemens invests heavily to Solid Edge, I don't think Cloud is the only solution similar to electric car, hydrogen car and so on.
3. Earlier this cloud product name was TC Share after this Siemens renamed it to XC Share and now "backnamed" to TC Share. This process is confused me...
4. More capabilities are available for all license construction not for only SaaS users. This is an additional and flexible solution for users who don't want to buy software.

I agree with you AI is not equivalent to ML. Solid Edge solution is close to ML than AI.

BR,
BR,
Imics - SolidEdgeST.wordpress.com
Ryan-3DS

Imics13 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:18 am Hi @Ryan-3DS,

1. The configuration is RuleDesigner based it is not linked to NX and so on...
2. Siemens invests heavily to Solid Edge, I don't think Cloud is the only solution similar to electric car, hydrogen car and so on.
3. Earlier this cloud product name was TC Share after this Siemens renamed it to XC Share and now "backnamed" to TC Share. This process is confused me...
4. More capabilities are available for all license construction not for only SaaS users. This is an additional and flexible solution for users who don't want to buy software.

I agree with you AI is not equivalent to ML. Solid Edge solution is close to ML than AI.

BR,
Imre,
Great to hear from you! It's been a while. I do work for Dassault now. After 30 years of UG, NX, TC and SE I had to see and understand what the "enemy" has to offer. So I changed up.

I totally forgot about Rulestream. That is an old beast (thinking of Smaug the dragon in The Hobbit old) of a tool that once fully connected, configured and set up can do true Engineering to Order and Configure to order functions. For those readers out there ETO and CTO are different sets of capabilities. DriveWorks is the closest competitor but that is really a CTO tool with web portal abilities. I truly miss those DriveWork days working with Razorleaf and DW.

There is no doubt that Siemens invests in Solid Edge. I truly see SE as the proving grounds and capabilities being pushed into NX. Heck, I still feel SE is a better design tool than NX- for most machine designs. Being a "newer" code base helps too! SE still needs a good-quality surface creation toolset. But that might be why Siemens is selling the SE and NX bundle?? wink wink.

As for the Share name. It is surprising that Siemens would go back to TC Share. Really surprising since Siemens is HEAVILY marketing Xcelerator.

As for the newer capabilities, Siemens marketing makes it appear like the newer capabilities are SaaS only. Unless Siemens has set up a multi-tenant server (Simcenter Web Apps) to host those companies that want to stay perpetual for most applications but are using new SaaS-based capabilities I don't see how it could be possible.

Those are my thoughts and opinions only.

Again, great to hear from you!
Ryan
KennyG

Unread post by KennyG »

Ryan-3DS wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:37 am
As for the Share name. It is surprising that Siemens would go back to TC Share. Really surprising since Siemens is HEAVILY marketing Xcelerator.

As for the newer capabilities, Siemens marketing makes it appear like the newer capabilities are SaaS only. Unless Siemens has set up a multi-tenant server (Simcenter Web Apps) to host those companies that want to stay perpetual for most applications but are using new SaaS-based capabilities I don't see how it could be possible.

Those are my thoughts and opinions only.

Again, great to hear from you!
Ryan
Ryan, I believe the Xcelerator term is being used as an Umbrella term for the entire DIS product offering. Teamcenter Share makes sense in that is it about data management like TC and I believe that it can be used coincidentally with TC as the ad hoc collaboration portal for TC managed data to include those extended folks who you don't want using TC.

The only new capability (which is not new) that is SaaS only that I'm aware of in the SE realm is Teamcenter Share (because it is cloud and thus is SaaS). Everything else I believe is available for subscription (SaaS) or perpetual as it is desktop delivered and can use both cloud licensing and on-prem licensing options.
Ryan-3DS

Kenny,
Cloud does not equal SaaS. You can have hosted servers and it is defined as Cloud but is not SaaS. This goes back to not all Cloud is SaaS but all SaaS is cloud. The marketing teams are doing a great job of mudding the waters.

There are two main components to software these days: deployment and licensing.
  • Deployment: local, cloud hosted (vpn) or cloud (multi-tenant or private)
  • Licensing: perpetual, subscription
We should all be talking in these terms. That removes all the confusion.

Using these two components we can safely say that Siemens Teamcenter Share is a multi-tenant cloud deployment using subscription licensing. Because of this model, Teamcenter Share is an add-on to an existing Teamcenter deployment or it is a standalone collaboration tool. I say this because Temacenter Share is based on the Simcenter Web Apps and runs on a Siemens multi-tenant cloud server. You are required to connect your existing Teamcenter Instance to the Teamcenter Share on the Siemens Simcenter Web app server to pass data back and forth. If you don't have Teamcenter then this app just becomes a basic collaboration tool where you upload data and collaborate on.

If people understand this differently, please let me know. I've been known to be wrong..just as the wife!
KennyG

Unread post by KennyG »

@Ryan-3DS "SaaS" is a marketing term along with "XaaS", "Platform", "PLM", etc... Whoever uses it or tries to explain it is either wrong or right depending on the audience as the definitions seem to differ depending on the source :-)