In Search of a Mentor

Alibre, FreeCAD, Sketchup, ZX, AutoCAD, Microstation,
darthdrafterbell
Answers: 0

In Search of a Mentor

Unread post by darthdrafterbell »

Hello all! I'm currently searching for AutoCAD work, and someone willing to take some time to be a mentor. I have academic experience, am a certified draftsman, and enjoy working with CAD. What I'm best at, as well as my favorite, is mechanical drafting. I feel like I live in a city with plenty of opportunities to enter any number of fields where I could carry out drafting work, but have not been successful in obtaining any real offers. Any help, advice, pointing in the right direction, brave souls to mentor me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: In Search of a Mentor

Unread post by AlexLachance »

darthdrafterbell wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:53 am Hello all! I'm currently searching for AutoCAD work, and someone willing to take some time to be a mentor. I have academic experience, am a certified draftsman, and enjoy working with CAD. What I'm best at, as well as my favorite, is mechanical drafting. I feel like I live in a city with plenty of opportunities to enter any number of fields where I could carry out drafting work, but have not been successful in obtaining any real offers. Any help, advice, pointing in the right direction, brave souls to mentor me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D
Hey mate, welcome to the forums. What would make you stand out the most in a crowd of candidates? Try not being too 'formal' in the presentation, companies often pick up on that as a lack of effort.

As an example, here's quickly something I would write for me.

Hello sir/ma'am,

I am sending you my resume in hopes of obtaining a job in your company. As you can see from my resume, I have a lot of experience in multiple domains such as designing, mechanical conception, drafting while also speaking both fluently french and english. I have great ease of communication, am independant and very ressourceful.

My training as well as the experience that I have in multiple domains would make me an asset for your company. I take great pride in a job well done, am punctual, honest, responsible and very versatile. Thanks for taking the appropriate time to skim through my resume.

Regards
Presentation is important, but so is the way you search. Have you given your resume around? If so, when giving your resume, try reaching someone from the engineering department or someone from human ressources to give yourself more chances of being looked upon. Don't just drop your resume and leave, show them you are actually interested.

Just know, it might be a little hard to find jobs right now depending where you are from. At least, over here in Canada, it seems we are on the verge of a recession, so companies are more hesitant to hire. Don't give up though.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

I will give you the same advice I give everyone in your situation. Find an industry you're interested in it, and learn as much as you can about it. If you have any hands-on experience in the field, that's even better. That knowledge and/or experience will be of more value than knowing how to make pretty pictures on paper.

While CAD knowledge and proficiency is great, in the long run it's just a tool. Owning a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

What can you bring to the table other than a degree? How are you a better choice than the rest of the crowd. I will take Glenn's advice one step further. Find something you are passionate about. So much so that you don't mind spending nights and weekends learning and improving your skills. For example, if you are into RC cars, buy a kit, reverse engineer it and create a complete set of mechanical drawings. You will learn a lot long the way, and you will be able to show a potential employer what you are capable of. It will also show them that you are dedicated enough about (fil in the blank) that you are willing to spend your own time improving.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

AutoCAD work?
Should look into Inventor, SolidWorks, Creo, OnShape, Catia and other 3D CAD.
Take some course if you haven't yet.

Put photos, models of what you've done online: LinkedIn, GitHub. Add link in your resume.

Actually my resume first page is my "Portfolio" with photos and description of projects.
State requirements, challenges of the project. How you solve problems and make improvements.
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

Hello darthdrafterbell,

Although AutoCad is still used for mechanical work, it can depend on the area or mechanical support.
Your LinkedIn shows you're in the Houston area, which can support many mechanical disciplines. (architetural (Revit) or machine (Inventor)).
You may try to connect with any of the local AutoCad support groups to get a understanding of who is who and also say you're looking for a mentor(s).
Otherwise, I'd start knocking on doors. IMHO, it is best to get your face in front of some and let them know you like/love doing the work.
Think of it as shopping for your future. And, remember, rejection is humbling and it builds character.
Good luck!
p.s., I'd also suggest getting into 3D (Inventor, SolidWorks, SolidEdge, OnShape, Fusion360, Rhino3D, Revit,....)
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau