use 4K TV for monitor

christian chu
Answers: 0

use 4K TV for monitor

Unread post by christian chu »

Any of you use 4K TV for monitor? how good to run SW on it?
Bradfordzzz

Re: use 4K TV for monitor

Unread post by Bradfordzzz »

christian chu wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:40 am Any of you use 4K TV for monitor? how good to run SW on it?
When working from home during Covid, I used my 65" 4K tv. I had no issues. Worked perfectly.
christian chu

How you connected your 4K TV to your desktop?
and how it looks when you manipulate the 3D model?
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

No problem.
HDMI out from laptop.
60" 4K and laptop 1080 screen.
Scaling on 60" and set as primary screen.
Keep everything SW on primary.

BTW Dell E7240 i7-4600U 16GB RAM Intel 4400 Graphic, SW2020.
Inventor works too.
christian chu

My desktop video card has 4 mini display ports - need to find the adapter to connect to HDMI from 4K TV
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

How's your monitor connect to vides card now? Using one of the mini display port?
christian chu

I got adapter from mini displayport to female display port which is connect to monitor
josh
Answers: 11

Unread post by josh »

Umm, well, they're not quite a dime a dozen, but practically not too far off that.

Bradfordzzz

Unread post by Bradfordzzz »

Ryan-3DS

Unread post by Ryan-3DS »

If you pick up a Smart TV you can connect wirelessly or you can purchase an HDMI-based adapter that can act as a receiver and connect wirelessly that way too. I use a wireless adapter for my Surface Pro 4. Then I don't have to have the mini-DP to HDMI adpater/cable.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

We've been using 43" 4k TVs for several years. There are some "4k" panels that are not created equal, so maybe don't buy/trust the cheapest thing you can find. Some people tried it and didn't like it, others tried it and thought they were indifferent until they went back to our normal set of 19" 1920x1080. After a couple of days they requested the 43" back.

43" 3840x2160 works out to nearly identical pixel pitch as a 19" 1920x1080 so no scaling issues to deal with, leave it at 100%.

The cable is critical, must be 4k @60Hz. Many claim 4k but will leave off the @30Hz. part, in our experience those will NOT ever display from a graphics card to a 4k TV. We use DP 1.2 (regular or mini) to HDMI 2.0 cables for desktops and older surfaces, then USB-C to HDMI 2.0 for newer surface or laptop docks.

Using CAD full screen will make our P2200 cards cry a little, rotations and things get a little logy; but I don't feel the need for that much graphics space. A single P2200 will run two 4k displays just fine for normal desktop stuff; keep CAD on one display, no need to put side bars on the other display with 43" IMO.
christian chu

I've read some threads about using 4K TV for monitor. There were some feedback on laggy/flickering issues or some SW fonts not displayed correctly
it's few yrs old threads and I'm just wondering there should be some improvements now
I'm asking for those who are using 4K TV for monitor, if these issues still exist when using 4K TV for monitor now?
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

christian chu wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:03 am I've read some threads about using 4K TV for monitor. There were some feedback on laggy/flickering issues or some SW fonts not displayed correctly
it's few yrs old threads and I'm just wondering there should be some improvements now
I'm asking for those who are using 4K TV for monitor, if these issues still exist when using 4K TV for monitor now?
Oh yeah, laggy and flickering from time to time, but that's just my uncertified driver... Seriously though, I haven't noticed any as long as it's a good panel. A couple of users say the can notice the mouse cursor is a bit slower, but my brain and eye-hand coordination is not fast enough to notice. I think the points to keep in mind is that colors will likely not be as good as real computer monitors. So if you're into graphics design and need accurate colors and lighting TV may not be best. Also, viewing angle is better on real monitors so the corners of the display sometimes look a little faded out.

Some day I'd like to get a 43" 4k OLED TV for a display. But they are still a lot of money.
christian chu

Thank you for the link
Adapter mini displayport to female displayport was provided by BOXX and I already have displayport-displayport able so I just used them
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

I've been using a 4k TV for years without too much trouble at home as a computer monitor. Initially SW didn't play well with 4k at all, but it's been fine for a while. I don't do gaming, so lag hasn't been an issue or I just don't notice it.

But, if it's for work, just get a monitor! This is the 32" one I bought in 2018 for work:

It's under $300 and works fine. You are spending THOUSANDS of dollars a year on software, just spend a little on a decent monitor and call it a day.
ctsturdiv

Unread post by ctsturdiv »

I personally dislike all the spyware and such they put in smart TVs lately. I will take a monitor any day, though it's a bit more.

I have a fairly large UHD monitor that I use for my school work.

For a second, I tried an older 1080p flat screen I somehow acquired somewhere, but it looked like crap up close. Usable for AutoCAD, but games it had ghosting issues. Not sure a 4K would have that issue, but I just like my monitors to be monitors.
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

ctsturdiv wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:41 pm I personally dislike all the spyware and such they put in smart TVs lately. I will take a monitor any day, though it's a bit more.

I have a fairly large UHD monitor that I use for my school work.

For a second, I tried an older 1080p flat screen I somehow acquired somewhere, but it looked like crap up close. Usable for AutoCAD, but games it had ghosting issues. Not sure a 4K would have that issue, but I just like my monitors to be monitors.
If you don't hook the TV to the Internet that's not much of a concern.

I'm with you, if you can justify the expense always go with a monitor.

At home I have a 50 or 55 inch 4k Tv. I couldn't justify the cost of a monitor that size. But at work where I spend the better part of most days staring at it, I have the above listed monitor.
christian chu

Finally I decided to go with 4K monitor with DisplayPort connection to make sure to get the best signal translation. AMD freeSync is a plus so my eyes not getting tired after a day long on monitor.
I got Dell 32" curved 4K UHD monitor from Cyber Monday. I'm very happy with it so far.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I tried a curved monitor and found it useless for cad. Everything was distorted and it made my brain hurt.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
AlexB
Answers: 22

Unread post by AlexB »

SPerman wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:59 pm I tried a curved monitor and found it useless for cad. Everything was distorted and it made my brain hurt.
I use curved monitors at work and don't mind them at all. If they're at eye level then everything is good. It's when you've got someone looking over your shoulder reviewing something with you that you get the "is that actually bent or is that just your screen making it look bent?" questions.
Craig Makarowski

Unread post by Craig Makarowski »

I have been using dual 43" 4K TV for about 4 years now and will never go back, I Find the LG Tv has good color as I also use them with Unreal 5.3
Note any TV larger than about 43" will mean that you have to move it farther away and most likely off the Desk or your neck will suffer a lot of motion side to side, just my opinion.