Sketches on drawing views

Programming and macros
mp3-250
Answers: 18

Sketches on drawing views

Unread post by mp3-250 »

Is there a way to visualize in the tree or build a list of sketches over a drawing view?

When you make a view active and sketch over it inside the drawing environment, where is that sketch stored in the drawing?
I would like to list all those sketches inside the drawing, their errors and count their constraints.
We have all sort of errors inside sketches, performance evaluation count a lot of constraint, but visually is very trivial to understand where the problems are only clicking the problematic entity would bring out the errors...

from
https://help.solidworks.com/2022/englis ... ketch.html
Remarks
Each drawing view contains an underlying sketch. The user can activate the sketch for a drawing view by double-clicking the view. Once the drawing view is active, you can add sketch directly to the view's sketch.
So basically each view inside the drawing has its own sketch by default and "activating" the view means entere that sketch edit mode? Is it correct?
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Re: Sketches on drawing views

Unread post by gupta9665 »

The views have an underlying sketch and when you double click on a view, the view get activated and also the sketch add/edit mode is on. This means that any sketch entity you will add, will be added to that view. Unlike models where you can add multiple/separate sketches, in drawing mode, you have only 1 sketch available.

Macro might be an option to list all those sketches inside the drawing, their errors and count their constraints. Even you can use macro to remove the dangling constraints.
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
EdwardLors
Answers: 0

Unread post by EdwardLors »

When you sketch over a drawing view, those sketches are actually stored within the drawing itself. But here's the thing, it's not super straightforward to list them or check for errors directly in the drawing environment.
I totally get your frustration with sketch errors and constraints. They can be a real headache, right? 😅 Unfortunately, many CAD programs don't make it super easy to pinpoint those issues visually.
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

@EdwardLors at least you understand my frustration. I submitted an improvement idea about visualizing those sketches and a DS guy told me he did not understand what the problem or my concern was.

speaks volumes!
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Couldn't you use the Show/hide relations to find the errors? I use it a lot inside parts with large sketches, perhaps the API could use that to pinpoint your issue?
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Why all the sketches in drawing?
Can they be done in model?
I've bring model sketch into drawing a few times.

I avoid manipulating the drawing as much as possible.
Sketches in drawing are those from section views.
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

@Frederick_Law because our drafter do not listen and still want to use solidworks like a 2D CAD!
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Let them suffer.
If they don't want to learn, no point cleaning up the mess.
Keep your own drawings clean and efficient.
If they like it, they'll ask how to do it.