[Geomagic Design X] What would you do in this scenario?

Talk about your favorite subD and mesh tools
Volume
Answers: 0

[Geomagic Design X] What would you do in this scenario?

Unread post by Volume »

I have a newbie question as Im still learning the ropes with Geomagic.

I have the below scan which Im trying to fix up. I have gone around it with the fill tool and most of it is good, this part here won't really work with fill however. What would be a good approach here to tie this in with the rest of the geometry? Would it be sketches and then creating planes or?
Attachments
image.png
matt
Answers: 18

Re: [Geomagic Design X] What would you do in this scenario?

Unread post by matt »

This part looks simple enough to use solid extrudes to finish it. The cut outs might require more information, but the main shape looks simple.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Someone completely missed those parts.
Rescan?
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

I would do as Matt said and just remodel it by grabing the dimensions I require from the scanned model.
len_1962

Unread post by len_1962 »

I have scans like this all the time that I have done myself, due to the parts shape, color, shinnyness and other factors not giving me as good scan.

So here is my approach, take it as just a suggestion as you will develop your own way. I do not know Geomagic as I use DezignWorks inside of SolidWorks.

I do not try to fill all the mesh holes as it will drive you nuts.

Try to turn what you have into surfaces that can be used in your CAD first, forget about solids, that can come later.

once you got surfaces to the scan now take to your CAD, that is where you can do tons more quicly than in Geo!

I am assuming you have the part in hand so now this is the time you grab your calipers and start measuring the the part and adding detail to the imported surface in your CAD.

Just remember all the vids you see are scans or STLs that look like they were scanned to fool into thinking it is a slam bam easy transition, far from reallity in the real world.

It take many thing to get a good finished Solid from a scan that is parcially complete, in SW I use pictures in sketches, measure the part, extract surfaces and sketches for planes intersection the scan and some assumtions if you cannot get anything from what has been given you.

I use a Romer 7axis arm with probe and laser scanner, what the scan doesnt give me I can use the probe to get cross sections. Take a crapload of time and swearing to get there.

hope this helps
Volume

Unread post by Volume »

Thanks for the info. Yes maybe next time a better scan would be needed.

I was hoping to leave it as an STL and use that for my cutouts but maybe surface modelling first is the right approach.