Home Cloud Storage

For things you would put in a kitty dump.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Home Cloud Storage

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Someone might've posted something already but I couldn't find it. Has anyone setup a home cloud storage solution for sharing and backing up all of your devices, laptops, PCs, phones, tablets, etc.

I thought about buying more Google Drive or OneDrive space but it gets expensive when at the TB level. Any recommendations?
Jason
SPerman
Answers: 13

Re: Home Cloud Storage

Unread post by SPerman »

I would think a NAS could be configured to handle this. We use Synology at work.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/solu ... s/for-home
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Some router has build in Cloud service.

I backup to hard drive at home.
Carry a hardware encrypted portable drive.

Do you trust yourself to setup a cloud backup on the internet?

I use Google drive to share files. Not as backup.

2T on Google One is $14 a month.

Do you need a cloud backup or just share?
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

We use dropbox and onedrive but never had to deal with 1TB of data.
BMWBrian
Answers: 0

Unread post by BMWBrian »

We use a 2TB Nextcloud unit. We have a static IP so it can be accessed anywhere. I don't know a lot about it, was set up by an IT friend of mine. We really like it, it updates a lot faster than DropBox, which would sometimes take up to an hour to sync files. Nextcloud is as fast as your network connection.
jcapriotti

Frederick_Law wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:25 am Some router has build in Cloud service.

I backup to hard drive at home.
Carry a hardware encrypted portable drive.

Do you trust yourself to setup a cloud backup on the internet?

I use Google drive to share files. Not as backup.

2T on Google One is $14 a month.

Do you need a cloud backup or just share?
I have Google Drive as well which also has backups from my phone. This is more about my home PC backups of files, photos, and videos of family stuff.....about 2 tb. Right now its scattered across Google Drive, an extra internal hard drive and an external drive acting as a backup. I can buy bigger hard drives but thought it would be nice to have everything in one place and accessible by me and my wife from our phones and laptops. Which lead me to looking into this rabbit hole.
Jason
jcapriotti

SPerman wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:05 am I would think a NAS could be configured to handle this. We use Synology at work.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/solu ... s/for-home
They seem to have a nice UI and reputation. Just cost is higher than some other options for personal use. I'm considering the DS223J 2bay unit with two Seagate Ironwolf drives. Gonna run around $600.
Jason
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Are you the only one needing access? This might not be a solution for you, but I thought I would mention it.

All of my active files are stored in onedrive, but music, videos, archives, etc. are stored on a big slow spinning platter on my home PC. I have three computers that the IT guy all setup on the same zerotier network. I frequently RPC between the 3, and that allows me access to the home archives outside of onedrive. Everything is backed up to backblaze.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

jcapriotti wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:53 pm Which lead me to looking into this rabbit hole.
So the question is how much you want to pay to have access to over 2TB of files.
Do you need all of them across the internet?
Having access to them on WIFI at home is simple.
I just plug USB drive to my router.

Home internet don't use fixed ip. So you'll need something to get the ip.
Some router has that service, ASUS has it.
SteveH
Answers: 0

Unread post by SteveH »

I'm considering the DS223J 2bay unit with two Seagate Ironwolf drives.
I have this same device and drives at home, configured for RAID 1. A common share is mapped to a drive letter on each Windows computer. That share is backed up nightly by IDrive. We (wife and I) only use it locally and don't use it for so-called cloud access.

This system has worked very well for almost 4 years now for our home use.
mp3-250
Answers: 18

Unread post by mp3-250 »

I quit using both NAS and RAID in favor of a minipc + multiple external drive setup.

NAS: a highly customized linux box, if network dies you cannot connect to see what is wrong.
If disk is damaged have fun accessing btrfs or ext4 and recover from them.
I had multiple Netgear and Qnap units: the first brand had issues scrubbing the volume and the web interface collapsed leaving me with ssh access only, the second detached a hdd unit due to their faulty pcb design and their mosfet dying after a couple of years.
I had multiple hardware and software faults and recovering from btrfs(avoid it) I needed to paid for software to read it. (alternative was to set up a linux box and try to mount that faulty filesystem).
From ext4 was better, but again I have all windows machines at home and not interested in linux anymore.

RAID: it is basically for service continuity not backup. As above try to rebuild a raid at home or recover the data from a raid formatted with a propriretary controller.

I am on a low budget and to have a 4 disks NAS unit costs me way more than a minipc + a usb case with 4 units space and separate power supply. Standard SMB over windows, custom firewall and services setup.
Standard disk format (NTFS) recoverable from both linux or windows.
Local access with keyboard mouse and monitor or via remote desktop. A backup PC in case of emergency.
Backup on external drive and a survived nas as secondary backup.
I can write my own scripts to sync folder over network or drives, add PAR2 files to check and protect data integrity etc.