Incorrect operation of the "Wrap" function with a large diameter of the rolling roller

Andrey19
Answers: 0

Incorrect operation of the "Wrap" function with a large diameter of the rolling roller

Unread post by Andrey19 »

Godd day
I need to draw a shaft with a skirt.
The bearing rolls along the skirt, making axial movements.
The trajectory of the skirt defines the movement cyclogram.
I tried to draw this using the wrap tool.
But this tool does not take into account the diameter of the rolling roller.
In the attached drawing I added cutouts along the diameter of the rolling roller (to show the irregularity of the geometry after the wrapping function).
Please tell me what tool can I use to draw this detail?
Best regards Andrey
Attachments
WrapFail.png
josh
Answers: 11

Re: Incorrect operation of the "Wrap" function with a large diameter of the rolling roller

Unread post by josh »

Andrey19

Re: Incorrect operation of the "Wrap" function with a large diameter of the rolling roller

Thank you very much for your quick response.
1. The method you propose solves the issue of equidistance between the upper and lower edges of the cutout, but does not work if the depth of the cutout is commensurate with the radius of the original cylinder.
2. I built the part using OpenScade (a small free application of 20MB in size https://openscad.org/).
I saved it in *.stl format and continued editing in SW.
3. The script is attached. There you can set the shape of the original part, the shape of the cutter that processes the original part and the trajectory of movement.
4. It’s strange that the SW developers did not provide such functionality.
Conceptual issues raised on the forum should, in theory, be requests for developers.
Attachments
ForumSW.txt
(447 Bytes) Downloaded 17 times
WrapOk.png
003_myEx.stl
(7.26 MiB) Downloaded 20 times
josh

Unread post by josh »

I'm curious what you intend to do with this model. If you intend for it to function as a barrel cam, it's not going to do well because the cutter (and therefore follower) path overlaps itself. You will not get good contact of the follower on the cam face through much of the rotation.
josh

Unread post by josh »

Also, if I'm reading your script correctly, you're just making 360 discrete cuts around the outside of the cylinder along a sine curve. This can be done in SW using a curve driven pattern along a wrapped scribe line.
Andrey19

One large diameter bearing rolls along a wide skirt.
Another bearing with a smaller diameter rolls along a narrow skirt near the axle.
A model of the part is attached.
I couldn’t make a curve-controlled array for this trajectory.
Attachments
Round crankshaft.png