PDM revision into model

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
MJuric
Answers: 1

PDM revision into model

Unread post by MJuric »

I'm working on connecting SW's BOM's to our ERP. I need to create a custom field in our models that have the PDM revision in it. We have a, I think, a variable in our data card "REVISION". This is what's called in our borders $PRP:"REVISION", to pull the REV into the drawings.

What do I need to do to pull that same data into the model?
bnemec
Answers: 10

Re: PDM revision into model

Unread post by bnemec »

Don't you want to have the model's revision number in the model's custom properties? I'm assuming you're expecting to keep your drawing and model at the same rev. Unless, your model files are not rev controlled by PDM?

Are you using PDM workflow to control the PDM revision?
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

MJuric wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:27 pm I'm working on connecting SW's BOM's to our ERP. I need to create a custom field in our models that have the PDM revision in it. We have a, I think, a variable in our data card "REVISION". This is what's called in our borders $PRP:"REVISION", to pull the REV into the drawings.

What do I need to do to pull that same data into the model?
To start, you need to map the "Revision" PDM variable in your system to what PDM calls an "Attribute" and "Block". (Seems like Conisio must've been an AutoCAD PDM first or something. :lol: )
image.png
The block name for SolidWorks and Office files is "CustomProperty" and the "Attribute" is whatever the custom property is in your SolidWorks file....sounds like its already set to "Revision". Once mapped, any change to the PDM data card, either by a user or by workflow transition action will update the custom property in the file.....and vice versa.
Jason
MJuric
Answers: 1

Unread post by MJuric »

bnemec wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:50 pm Don't you want to have the model's revision number in the model's custom properties? I'm assuming you're expecting to keep your drawing and model at the same rev. Unless, your model files are not rev controlled by PDM?

Are you using PDM workflow to control the PDM revision?
I'm not entirely sure I want the model or the print's revision in the model custom property. In theory they should be the same but on more occasions than I would like to admit they get out of sync because someone will pull and update one and not the other.

That being said though the correct thing to do is to get the models rev.

We are using PDM to control rev.